Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

frequently reboot after activate intel 5500 driver

dChen74
Beginner

My laptop is Dell i3558-5501blk, windows 10. I tried to install a couple of versions driver including the latest one for the graphics intel 5500. But for each version of driver, the computer reboots frequently sometimes with screen flashing. If I disable the intel 5500, then the computer works and does not reboot. Only with Microsoft version of driver dated on 06/21/2006, the driver works. But you know if I keep using this computer, the driver will be updated automatically and then my computer reboot frequently. Please help me solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
dChen74, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, this is because that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. I looked in Dell's web site, not sure if this the correct laptop model, it is Inspiron 3558 and it shows that there are 2 graphic drivers available, one of them is version 20.19.15.4835 ,A07 that you already installed, and the other one is an Nvidia version 23.21.13.9125 ,A08, please try to install that driver: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=Y4G9J&osCode=WT64A&productCode=inspiron-15-3558-laptop As you mentioned, probably Windows* will try to install the latest updates in your system and the problem might come back, so for this scenario what we recommend is to get in contact directly with Dell for them to provide further technical assistance on this matter: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04 Or also you can get in contact directly with Microsoft to verify if there is a way to disable the automatic driver updates or for them to provide further suggestions for this scenario: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
dChen74
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry to reply you late. Today I tried the Nvidia driver you suggested. I could not install this driver because this driver says that in my computer there is no related hardware. I guess this driver only apply to Nvidia graphics which is not in my computer, not for intel 5500 graphics. I am thinking to download the latest Windows 10 from Microsoft and reinstalling windows 10. You know, we have a lot of this model of laptop, Dell i3558-5501blk, which are working in the world, but only my computer reported that the intel 5500 driver does not work with windows 10. So I think perhaps the system is messed up and perhaps reinstall latest windows 10 may work.

Denny

0 Kudos
dChen74
Beginner

My windows 10 version is 1607. I am wondering whether other version has this problem.

0 Kudos
dChen74
Beginner

From google search, we can find that some of other computer models (e.g. Lenovo)​ have the same problem. The posts say that intel 5500 does not work under windows 10 1607. Do not know how they finally solve the problem? Whether we can solve this by installing other version of windows 10? I am thinking about this but it is a little difficult for me to make decision. The problem is that, when you trying to installing a new OS, the computer need restart and installing new driver for intel 5500. But once new driver is installed then the system frequently restart because of the driver's problem. Then the system can not be installed and finished finally.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
dChen74, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
dChen74, Is there anything else we can help you with? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos