Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20652 Discussions

intel graphics driver installer cannot display the interface

willowgod
Beginner

近几个月以来每次更新软件都会发生这个问题。开始安装后软件的图形界面就消失了,点击任务栏图标无法唤出,无法得知安装进度。等待半小时后没有发生变化。期间查询任务管理器发现软件cpu占用率很低。重启电脑或者直接结束任务后,intel-driver-support-assistant可以显示安装完成,但这似乎不是正常的结束安装方法。如何解决它?

This problem has occurred with every software update in recent months. After the installation began, the graphical interface of the software disappeared, and the task bar icon could not be called up by clicking on it, and the installation progress could not be learned. After waiting for half an hour, nothing changed. The task manager found that the software cpu usage was low. After restarting the computer or directly ending the task, intel-driver-support-assistant can show that the installation is complete, but this does not seem to be the normal way to end the installation. How to fix it?

The log file is attached. I hope it will be useful.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
H_Mlysgeek
New Contributor I

Hello willowgod...

The issue you're describing with the Intel Driver Support Assistant (IDSA) is a recurring problem during software updates. The disappearance of the graphical interface and the unresponsive taskbar icon suggest that the installation process is encountering an error or conflict that prevents it from completing normally. Low CPU usage indicates that the installation is not actively progressing.

To address this issue, maybe you can try the following steps, which have helped others with similar problems:

1. Restart Your Computer: A fresh start can sometimes resolve installation conflicts.
2. Clear Cache and Browsing Data: If you're downloading the installer via a web browser, clearing the cache might help.
3. Check Intel Driver & Support Assistant Service: Ensure that the IDSA service is running correctly in the background.
4. Troubleshoot in Clean Boot: Performing a clean boot can help identify if any third-party applications are causing the issue.

5. Reinstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant: Use the official uninstaller tool to remove IDSA completely, then download and install the latest version.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, you may want to consult the log file for specific error messages or codes that can provide further insight into the problem.

Hope this helps,,,

Regards,

Harry

0 Kudos
willowgod
Beginner

I've tried all these steps and unfortunately they haven't worked. I looked at the log but it was too long to find the fault code. I have uploaded the log to the attachment, could you please help to see where the fault code is?

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello willowgod,

Thank you for posting in the communities. I recognize that you are experiencing difficulties with the software. To assist us in identifying the underlying cause of the problem, could you please respond with the following information?

1. Could you describe the method you used to update the graphics driver? Did you utilize the Intel Driver & Support Assistant (IDSA) or the Intel Arc Control Panel?

2. Can you specify the version number of the graphics driver you are attempting to install?

3. It would be helpful if you could provide the Intel® System Support Utility Logs from your computer. This will allow us to examine your system configuration in detail. You may attach the logs to this thread once you have them.

4. Have you attempted a manual update of the graphics driver by downloading it directly from the official website?

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
willowgod
Beginner

1&4
During the month I tried three simultaneously: Intel Driver and Support Assistant (IDSA), Intel Arc Control Panel, and manual download from the official website

(1)Intel Arc Control Panel will show“may be offline or having trouble finding
the latest drivers”,as described in this page.(https://www.intel.cn/content/www/cn/zh/support/articles/000096688/graphics.html)
(2)Intel Driver and Support Assistant (IDSA) will display download failed, as described in this webpage: (https://www.intel.cn/content/www/cn/zh/support/articles/000092168/software/software-applications.html). Note: Download failure occurs only when installing intel graphics drivers, and does not occur when installing intel Bluetooth and wifi drivers.
(3)Therefore, the only way for me  is download through the official website. In this case, the error I mentioned earlier will occur: the graphical interface crashes during the installation process and no longer recovers, and the installation progress cannot be known, so the installation can only be finished by restarting the computer. (The driver version was updated after the reboot, but this is obviously not the right way to end.)

I've been noticing this series of issues since the beginning of 2024, and they've been happening at the same time and over a long period of time, covering every driver version number from then to now.

In both of the attached addresses, the engineer mentions Display Driver Uninstaller(DDU) as a solution to this problem. I tried to uninstall with DDU and install the latest version of the driver , it worked temporarily, and I was able to install the driver properly for the first time in four months. I have attached my System Support Utility Logs after I uninstalled using DDU and then installed the driver .

But, unfortunately, I've seen a lot of feedback that the DDU effect is a one-off. As long as you do not use DDU uninstall but choose to update directly through the above three methods, any update will re-create the problem. (https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8613479880)

This means that in order to get a normal graphics card installation , every time we needs to be pre-unloaded using DDU, which is ridiculous.

I will resubmit the log the next time the problem occurs (which I suspect is not far away). I hope you can solve this problem soon.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello willowgod,

I appreciate your update and the efforts you've made in troubleshooting. It's unfortunate that the issue remains unresolved. To continue our diagnostic process, please consider following the guidance provided in our 'Intel® Arc™ Graphics Driver Installer Won't Start' article. Once you have completed the steps, we would be grateful to hear about the results. This will help us determine the next course of action. 

Thank you for your continued patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello willowgod,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the questions I posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter. 

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
willowgod
Beginner

I have read the proposal you mentioned. In a word, you suggest I use DDU, right?

I tested your solution in the latest update. In short, the effect of DDU is still a one-off, no different from what I said before.
(1) I manually installed the driver after using DDU (April 19, →31.0.101.5444), and the installation was normal at this time.
(2) After this, I upgraded the driver via Arc Control Panel (April 26, →31.0.101.5445), this time without using DDU. And then immediately came the problem I mentioned last time: After the upgrade, Intel Arc Control Panel will show "may be offline or having trouble finding the latest drivers"

Yes, I know this problem can be solved by using DDU again, but taking this approach means that your update features (Intel Arc Control Panel and IDSA) are useless, right? There must be a bug in your update feature that makes it impossible to update without uninstalling it via DDU.

Please let me know if there are any more files submitted to help troubleshoot bugs, I really hate it every time I uninstall using DDU, I find it hilarious.

0 Kudos
willowgod
Beginner

I have read the proposal you mentioned. In a word, you suggest I use DDU, right?

I tested your solution in the latest update. In short, the effect of DDU is still a one-off, no different from what I said before.
(1) I manually installed the driver after using DDU (April 19, →31.0.101.5444), and the installation was normal at this time.
(2) After this, I upgraded the driver via Arc Control Panel (April 26, →31.0.101.5445), this time without using DDU. And then immediately came the problem I mentioned last time: After the upgrade, Intel Arc Control Panel will show "may be offline or having trouble finding the latest drivers"

0 Kudos
willowgod
Beginner

Yes, I know this problem can be solved by using DDU again, but taking this approach means that your update features (Intel Arc Control Panel and IDSA) are useless, right? There must be a bug in your update feature that makes it impossible to update without uninstalling it via DDU.

Please let me know if there are any more files submitted to help troubleshoot bugs, I really hate it every time I uninstall using DDU, I find it hilarious.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello willowgod,

I understand your frustration with the recurring issue after updating drivers without using DDU. The use of DDU is often recommended as a thorough method for removing previous driver installations, which can sometimes interfere with new updates. However, it's understandable that relying on this method for every update is not ideal and suggests there might be an underlying issue with the update mechanism itself.

To assist users facing similar difficulties, we have compiled an article titled "Update Check Failed After Updating the Intel® Graphics Driver Using the Intel® Arc™ Control," which outlines potential solutions. We are actively investigating this matter and I assure you that any progress or findings will be promptly communicated in this discussion thread.

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos