Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1802 Discussions

Graphics Crashing

Dubs73pp3r
Beginner

Recently built a system around the Intel Arc A770 graphics card, but for the life of me I can't get it to work stably. At first I thought it was thermal crashes, but after switching between a lower temp AMD system and the Intel 13700k system, still get crashes mid benchmark/game. System specs below:

AMD:

Ryzen 7 5600g/Ryzen 9 3900x

Gigabyte B550i Aorus pro AX

64gb DDR4 3600MHz ram

1tb Samsung 970 evo plus OS drive

Intel:

I7 13700k stock clock/max wattage 250w

Gigabyte B760i Aorus Pro DDR4

64gb DDR4 3600MHz ram

1tb Samsung 970 evo plus OS drive

all bundled in the Phanteks shift XT case with the Lian Li galahad 240mm AIO. using all stock options for graphics and CPU. Using the XMP for the ram. I'm at a loss here for figuring out why my system keeps crashing/rebooting.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @Dubs73pp3r,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused you. Please help me with the following information in order to assist you:

• Are you using a straight cable into the port or are you using any type of adapter or docking station?
  • What games/benchmarks has been tested?
  • Are there any BSODs or error messages when it crashes? 
  • Is Resizable Bar enabled in the BIOS?
  • To get more information from your system, please install the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Best regards,

Carlos L.
Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Dubs73pp3r
Beginner

Hello,

Here is an update that I was able to troubleshoot with some fiddling about.

Using the Intel I7 13700k with stock settings (no Intel XTU installed) I had the X.M.P. profile enabled for my ram. This was causing instability in the CPU as the ram is max overclock to 3600MHz; after manually setting a max ram clock of 3200MHz that side of the computer was resolved. Next item to tackle was the GPU; after numerous monitor swaps (1080p, 1440p and 3440x1440p) I found that using the stock performance options in the Intel Arc Control app provided stable results and I am able to complete a full 3DMark Time Spy (non extreme) stress test of a full 20 loops AND I am able to use the built in benchmark within Cyberpunk 2077 using the RayTracing low preset with XeSS auto setting able to push 51-57 FPS on a 3440x1440p monitor.

The conclusion that I was able to reach as to what was causing my crashes, black screens and restarts is the Following:

-Using the Intel Arc driver 31.0.101.4369, when attempting to use 2 monitors plugged into the GPU causes driver crash/black screen; work around i found that works is to use the iGPU to output video to the 2nd monitor.

-When using RAM that is faster than the CPU officially supports, the possibility of over current/instability/any performance issues is likely to happen and thus ram should be manually set to the max transfer rate officially supported by the CPU as stated on the manufacturer's website/spec sheet.

-When building a computer from scratch; slow down, take your time and read all the applicable material when needed/required (this one is more of a personal issue more than an equipment issue)

If the development team is still interested in getting a Intel® SSU report for my system I would be more than happy to produce one for you.

V/R

Dubs

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @Dubs73pp3r

Were you able to check the previous post? Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Dubs73pp3r
Beginner

Hello,

Yes I posted a reply to it a short moment ago above.  In the meantime though, when attempting to mess with the performance options on the Intel Arc Control app I encountered a crash when I slid the wattage slider from default 190w to max 228w. Attached should be the scan from that crash? (had to hard restart via case power button to get controls back).

Hope it helps,

-Dubs

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r

Thank you for the information provided.

Please note that overclocking and enabling Intel® XMP, which is a type of memory overclocking, and using it beyond the given specifications may void the processor warranty. Also, running the components over its default configuration may cause system instability, which may be the reason why after loafing the XMP and graphics settings to stock, the results were a much more stable system.

As per my understanding, most of the the issues are now solved after setting the system to run at stock settings, except for the problem where the second monitor causes a driver crash/black screen. We want to recommend you run the DDU tool to eliminate all the possibility that drivers from previous versions are causing system malfunctions. Doing a clean install for any hardware can help to fix specific issues that can be associated so any additional software that might be causing malfunction. Once you run the DDU, install the driver 31.0.101.4369 again.

Best regards

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Dubs73pp3r
Beginner

Hello,

Yes I have ran DDU and did a fresh install of the drivers (31.0.101.4369) but the only solution I found that provided a *mostly* stable usage of the system with two monitors was to use the onboard graphics on the CPU for the second monitor and the primary monitor connected to the Graphics card. I will be able to use the system for an indeterminate amount of time before the second monitor starts flashing a black screen lasting anywhere from 1-3 seconds before coming back for roughly 30-60 seconds then back to black. The primary monitor does not have this same issue though.

For Reference I am using 2 Samsung G5 monitors at 3440x1440p with the primary monitor running at the full 165Hz and the second at 60Hz. settings applied through the monitor's OSD.

Thanks

-Dubs

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r,

Let us look into this and we will get back to you at our earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r,

We would like to clarify some information to further explore this matter:

• Does this flashing happen exclusively on the latest driver?
  • Are you using any adapter on the monitor with issues? We always recommend using straight connections, such as DP to DP or HDMI to HDMI.
  • Based on your post from ‎05-27-2023, the second monitor is running at 60Hz. Can you double-check why it was set at 60Hz on the OSD? Is it some sort of limitation on the cable, or is it just a matter of preference?
  • Have you tested different cables?
  • What happens if you interchange the displays (your second monitor becomes the primary display and vice-versa)? Does the issue occur on the same display?

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Dubs73pp3r
Beginner

Hello,

In response to your questions:

• I have not tried any other driver versions to verify if this is an issue with the card/drivers or just the current driver.
  • Both monitors are directly connected to the ports using the latest DisplayPort cord version (I believe v1.2)
  • I have the Second monitor running at 60hz as a biased descision being that I only use it for internet browsing, secondary applications like discord, streaming media content.
  • I have tried using other displayport cables, same issue.
  • I have not tried inter changing the monitors as i have them mounted in a "tower" configuration with the socondary monitor in the 180 degree position (upside down)

Recently I was trying to play Overwatch 2 on the system with both monitors attached and had a complete system lockup again. lost all video signal on the primary monitor (direct card connected) but had a frozen signal on the secondary monitor (integrated graphics). I had to hard restart the computer by holding the power button to restart the computer.

I notice this issues on the following games:

• Overwatch 2
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Space Engineers (dx11 I think?)
  • Satisfactory
  • Farming Simulator 22
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2 (and the associated TruckersMP mod)

If you would like any data/game settings/ compiled lists, please let me know. I currently have been using the LE arc a770 card but recently obtained an Acer Predetor Arc A770 card and will re test the games listed above at same settings.

Thanks

-Dubs

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r,

Thank you for the information provided.

For testing purposes, can you try performing a clean driver installation of driver 31.0.101.4255 to discard the possibility that this issue is related to our latest graphics drivers? Let us know the outcome.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Dubs73pp3r
Beginner

Good afternoon Jean,

I will attempt with the suggested above, however, after playing some swap-tronics going from the Arc A770 LE to the Acer Predator BiFrost A770 I find that on using the current driver version .4369 I have no issues gaming, blinking, crashes etc.  I have both monitors plugged into the card with no issues at all as well as seeing some slightly better performance from the chipset. I am inclined to think that there is an issue with my LE card whether caused by myself attempting to push the performance a little further, or just got a slightly "issue prone" card. Not sure that it would be able to be RMA'd considering my attempts to push the performance but I will post a reply after having tried the solution in the above post.

V/R

-Dubs

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r,

Thanks for the information provided.

We would like to further review this issue internally. We will post back as soon as we have further details.

If you want, you can try our recommendations, or you can hold the troubleshooting until we are back.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

We would like to recommend one more thing, and it is to try and see if the issue persists after installing the latest BETA driver 31.0.101.4382. Install the driver by performing a clean driver installation. Let us know if the issue persists.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Dubs73pp3r
Beginner

Hello,

After testing the LE card per your recommendations, the issue still persists.  I did, however, notice that it worked on Windows 10 (pro) and after testing on Windows 11 (pro) the issue returned.  could the issue exists on the LE cards on Windows 11 and not Windows 10?

Respectfully,

Dubs

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r,

We don't have any known issues that are only affecting Windows 11 (pro). We would like to confirm the root cause of the issue. Can you inform us if you are using two separate systems to test?

If that is true,  we would suggest performing a fresh installation of your Operating System to eliminate any corrupted files from Windows 11 that may be causing the issue. Please, keep us updated on the results.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Dubs73pp3r
Beginner

Good afternoon,

I was using the same system (test rig at this point) with windows 10 then upgraded to windows 11.  Windows 10 with the beta driver worked fine with a full 20 loops on Time Spy, but on windows 11 the system crashed after just 3 loops on Time Spy.  all same settings.  Only reason I upgraded the test rig to windows 11 is due to the slow inevitable phase out of windows 10 already.  All of my systems use windows 11 and all encountered the same issue with the LE card but not the BiFrost card from Acer.

Hope this helps.

-Dubs

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r,

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r

We understand that you are currently testing this system using Windows 10 and Windows 11, and the  BiFrost card from Acer work as expected, but the LE card still presents some issue.

To continue investigating this matter, we would like to confirm if you have tried a fresh installation of Windows 11 with a new OS image. This is to discard the problem being related to the operating system instead of your graphics card.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Dubs73pp3r,

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos