Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1645 Discussions

Intel A580 crashes on DRM-protected websites

neotel
Novice

Whenever I open Spotify, Netflix or Chosic on any browser, my GPU blackscreens. Is there any way to fix this?

Monitor: ASUS VP248H

  

0 Kudos
8 Replies
neotel
Novice

Found a temporary fix: unplugging and re-plugging in my HDMI cable to my monitor after the black screen occurs.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hi neotel,

Thank you for posting in the communities.

To further help us understand the issue, please provide answers to these questions:

1) Does the black screen happen when just opening the sites for Spotify, Netflix or Chosic? Or by playing actual content from those sites?

2) Do you get a crash error from the browser? If yes, what is the exact error message?

3) What happens when you use their desktop Windows app? Can it play properly?

4) Do you get the black screen on any other activities like playing games, working on a Word document, PC sitting idle, etc.?

5) Is your OS updated to latest version?

For now, please install the latest Arc driver v101.5333 at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/816901/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html and preferably through a clean uninstall/reinstall of driver using DDU. Please follow the instructions on this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091878/graphics.html

If issue still occurs, please run the SSU tool by following the instructions from this article : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html and send us the SSU log. This will help us assess your system for further information and any error/s that are present.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you very much!

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
neotel
Novice

1) Just from opening the website, with no content played. I've only had this issue with DRM-protected websites.

2) The browser does not crash, the monitor goes black.

3) Spotify does, but will black screen when clicking: share, then embedded track. The Netflix app will also cause a black screen.

4) No I do not.

5) Yes.

I've updated my drivers to v101.5333 but the issue still persists. I did not have these issues when I owned an RTX 3080 or a GTX 960.

RamyerM_Intel

Hello neotel, 

Thank you for sharing this information. Just to confirm, when the black screen occurs, does it come back after a few seconds, or do you have to restart for the display to pop up again? (I'm asking because I saw that your workaround is unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable.) Moreover, does the audio still continue when the black screen occurs? 

I also noticed that you have an old BIOS version. You may try upgrading your BIOS at this link: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M-ITXac/index.asp#BIOS. However, please do not upgrade to version L3.44 right away but rather, skip 1-2 versions each time. 

You may also visit this link as reference:https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000093628/graphics.html

Let us know if the issue still persists. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
neotel
Novice

The black screen will not disappear unless I restart my computer or replug my HDMI cable. Audio works fine and even the video feed remains fine (my friend on discord could still see my screen via screen sharing and my mouse movement even though my monitor had turned off).

I've updated my BIOS to 3.40, yet I'm still having the same issue.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hi neotel,

Thank you for giving the answers to our questions, it will definitely help us understand the issue further.

Here are a few other questions/troubleshooting steps, so please help in answering/doing them:

1) Did this happen out of the box after installing the Arc A580 GPU since you mentioned that you previously have RTX 3080 and GTX 960 where you did not encounter this?

2) With the SSU log you provided, I noticed that you have different browsers. Did this happen on specific browsers but works on some? Or it does not matter which browser you use?

3) With one browser that shows the issue, can you try to turn off "Use hardware acceleration when available" and enable "Allow sites to play protected content". Please let us know which browser as well and what the result will be.

4) Since you mentioned that unplugging and plugging in the HDMI cable solves the issue, do you have another HDMI cable to try? I asked this because the issue you are encountering could be related to HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) which is a form of DRM for HDMI cable standard. If unplugging and plugging in the HDMI cable fixes it, it's possible that there is a problem with the HDCP handshake between the monitor and source (graphics card). Plugging in the HDMI device will initiate a new HDCP handshake between the monitor and source (graphics card). Trying another HDMI cable could also eliminate any hardware problem with it if there was any.

Please proceed with these and let us know of your results.

Thank you very much!

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello neotel,

I am just following up about the details I have asked in my previous post. Please feel free to share it with us so we can better assist you. Thank you. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello neotel, 

I hope you are doing well. As we have not heard a response in the past few days, we will proceed in closing this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos