Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1630 Discussions

Intel Arc A770 - Games Crashing Again After 4887 Driver Update

Drangueforde
Novice

Hello,

Here is the original thread where I had crashes and was unable to determine what was causing them, which we just closed:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/Intel-Arc-A770-Baldur-s-Gate-3-Crashes-and-BSOD/td-p/1520849/page/2

Here is the situation:

After redoing my computer with a fresh Windows 10 installation, and installing the 4826 drivers, I appeared to have resolved my crashing issues. Today, I noticed you released new drivers 4887 and I booted into safe mode, used DDU to uninstall the previous drivers, made sure my internet was disconnected, then booted back into normal mode and installed the 4887 drivers. I rebooted after and then launched Project Zomboid. About 3-5 minutes into the game, the same crashes I was experiencing before returned in the same manner they displayed previously.

Just to be completely clear, the steps to install new drivers are as follows, right:

Grab the new drivers off the internet

Reboot into safe mode and no internet connection

Use DDU to cleanly uninstall the previous drivers

Reboot normally

Reinstall the new drivers as a clean installation

Reboot normally, reconnect your internet

I redid this machine on 09/29/2023 and haven't experienced any crashes, with the exception of some power outages because the state I live in is trying to imitate the Texas power grid, until I updated the beta drivers today. Please tell me I'm not going to have to completely redo my computer and install the drivers on a brand new Windows installation in order to get stable results. Because that doesn't make any sense and it's completely unreasonable to expect after every new driver update you all push out.

So what is going on? Why does it go 11 days without crashing, then I update the drivers, and all of a sudden the crashes return in exactly the same manner they existed previously?

Here is the SSU file. There is also a Memory.dmp file but I cannot send it because it is too big even after being zipped (133MB). How would you like to receive this file? It is probably important since it was mentioned in the SSU crash log.

I'm very much at the end of my patience and I'm not sure how much more of this I can tolerate. I cannot believe how awful this experience has been. I just want to play my games in peace, is that really too much to ask for? I'm convinced it is either the drivers or the process of having to use DDU that is messing everything up, but what do I know?

In the meantime, I am going to try and install different drivers and hope for the best, but if this keeps crashing, expect me to redo my computer again, because I am not going to spend a week or however long trying to figure this out again when your card should just work.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Drangueforde
Novice

Here is some additional information that might be relevant:

Shortly after this post, I performed a system restore on my OS to bring it back to the point before using DDU to remove the 4826 drivers and installing the new 4887 drivers. My computer and GPU are now stable again. It has been a little over 3 and a half hours and the game isn't crashing. Truly miraculous; I wonder what it could mean.

Seems odd that a driver update from 4826 to 4887 would just completely and utterly screw everything up and make my GPU crash just like it was before. Am I not supposed to update the drivers on this card ever? Because it seems like I have no choice but to stay on 4826 and never update it if I want to game without issue.

0 Kudos