Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1620 Discussions

Laptop display connected to integrated graphics

AndyCz
Beginner

The display of my laptop (a 4K HDR OLED screen) always seems to be connected to the integrated Iris graphics card rather than the more powerful Arc discrete graphics card (as ascertained under System > Display > Advanced Display). This seems to be the case even when using apps that have been optimised for high performance (using System > Display > Graphics). Why would this be? Surely such a demanding display would call for the more powerful GPU?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello AndyCz

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communities. I am sorry you are experiencing issues with the GPUs integrated into your system. I would like to ask you for more information in order to assist you with this issue:

• How are you monitoring that the iGPU is the only adapter being used on the system? Share screenshots if possible.
  • Share a short video using any app/game while at the same you have the Task Manager open on the performance tab so we can check the system's behavior.
  • Does the same issue happen with AC power plugged and unplugged?
  • Create a log file with the Intel® System Support Utility and attach it. 

Best Regards

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
AndyCz
Beginner

Thanks for the response. It seems to be the case when plugged or unplugged. As I say, I am monitoring this via System > Display > Advanced Display (see screenshot). 

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello AndyCz

If the display is directly connected to the integrated GPU, you might not see a change under System > Display > Advanced Display, however, the laptops should be able to use discrete graphics for high-demanding applications. I would advise following the instructions from my previous post so we can check the GPU that is actually being used:

• Share a short video using any app/game while at the same you have the Task Manager open on the performance tab so we can check the system's behavior.

Also, please share the log file from the Intel® System Support Utility following the link in the previous post, so we can get for information about the laptop hardware and configuration.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello AndyCz

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello AndyCz 

I hope you are doing fine. 

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello AndyCz

Before closing this thread we just wanted to provide a little more insight and let you know that since this is a laptop the display is likely to be connected to the integrated graphics because that is the way hybrid graphics work. The discrete graphics does the rendering and all the heavy lifting (for demanding apps) and the output is passed on to the integrated graphics(display).

You can also use the Intel® Arc™ Control Software overlay to monitor the use of the GPU. You can open the overlay with the key combinations ALT+O.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos