Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1891 Discussions

Monitor Refresh Rates

Steve_NB
New Contributor I

My new system arrived yesterday. Essentially an intel 12400f system with 32Gb Ram and an Intel Arc A750 card.

I have 3 monitors - 2 identical elderly office style Acer monitors and a more modern Asus Tuf 165Hz gaming monitor. All 3 monitors are 1080p resolution.

I have one of the old monitors hooked up to the HDMI connector, it's set to it's native 60Hz refresh rate in windows (only option available), and it works fine.

The second old monitor is hooked up to one of the DisplayPort connectors via a DisplayPort to HDMI conversion cable, it's set to it's native 60Hz refresh rate in windows (only option available), and it works fine.

The third (and most important) monitor is connected to one of the DisplayPort connectors with the DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor, to the DisplayPort connector on the monitor. I initially set this to 165Hz refresh rate.

What I found is my system would not be on for very long before it would completely lock up requiring a reboot. Either browsing, or playing a game (Elite Dangerous) would do it. 

I persevered, but a new symptom appeared -  the gaming monitor stated having 'blackouts', the screen effectively going completely black, although  the computer did not lockup, and the picture would occasionally flash back on for a brief moment. After a couple minutes of this the system would lock up again.

I lowered the refresh rate in windows of this monitor to 120 Hz.

System worked perfectly at this point, although I am not terribly happy that my game is now capped at a framerate of 120fps.

Am I asking too much of the card? Or is there something wrong with what I am trying to do? I feel that this card ought to be able to support the sort of bandwidth I am asking for.

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

I'm wondering if 120Hz might be as much as my DP Cable can support? Tried 144Hz this evening - crashes still. But rock steady at 120Hz.

I used 165Hz with the same cable on my old rig - i7 7700 with a 3Gb Nvidia 1060 - and never saw an issue, but maybe that card used a lower value in the background?

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Never mind. I'm returning the system. Started crashing at 120Hz, then at 100Hz...the problem is probably something else.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve_NB

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing system hangs issues on your system.

I see that you were returning your Intel® Arc™ A750 Graphics back, please let me know if you still require assistance with this issue or if you no longer own the GPU.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Hi Hugo,

thanks for getting back to me.

I will be sending the entire system back - it's a new gaming PC so all or nothing. Got the shipping labels, just need to get it done now.

Today I have run the memtest86 suite against my system, the FurMark CPU burner stress test, and the FurMark GPU Stress test. The memory tests were all good, the cpu test deemed to be fine, but the gpu stress test causes the system to crash every time, as the gpu temp passes about 70C (I haven't fiddled with any of the overclocking settings).

I realise this is not exhaustive or definitive, but is pointing me toward the conclusion that the graphics card I have is probably a lemon.

I'm going to try again - the seller will be shipping me an identical system on receipt of my current system.

I did like the results of the card on my favourite game, Elite Dangerous, but obviously the instability makes it unusable.

At this time I require no further assistance with this issue.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Steve_NB

Thank you for letting us know. As you mentioned this could have been a hardware issue based on the systems' behavior and hopefully, it will not happen in the new one that you will receive, however, do not hesitate to contact us back if this or any other issue arises.

Please note that this thread will note longer be monitored, if you need further assistance, please open a new thread.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos