Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1822 Discussions

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 NEW GENESIS Performance

HarunoYomogi
Beginner

First of all, I am Japanese and do not understand English.
Please forgive me for using translation software to convert Japanese into English.

I will tell you that the performance of PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 NEW GENESIS is not good!
When I start the game and I am the only one on the screen, the fps is relatively high.
However, when more than 10 other players are on the screen, the fps suddenly starts to drop.
The GPU utilization also drops to about 50-60%, and the GPU Clock also drops and rises repeatedly.

And Micro Stutter occurs.

The arc driver I am using is 31.0.101.5382.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HarunoYomogi

サポートは英語のみとなりますのでご了承ください。この回答はウェブ翻訳ツールを使って翻訳したため、翻訳が不正確になる場合があります。

Thank you for posting in the communities. I just want to ask, may I please know the fps value that you are getting when 10 players enter the screen and when you are the only one? This will be helpful information so we can be more detailed with our investigation, I will be waiting for your reply. By the way, please also share where you have purchased the game so we can check for possible known issues in this game,

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
HarunoYomogi
Beginner

Hello Ramyer M.

This game is a network game.
Inside a city you can see more than 50 characters.
Outside the city there can be up to 32 player characters

The resolution of the game is WQHD
Graphics are set to 6 Ultra.
However, the blur setting is OFF.
The frame rate limit is OFF.

When more than 10 players are on screen, the frame rate is around 38-48 fps.
GPU utilization is around 70%.

When 20 or more players are on screen, the frame rate will be around 32-39 fps
GPU utilization is around 65-70%.

When it's just you, the fps is 55-75 fps, depending on the location, it can be higher in some places

As for the microstutter thing...
It happens when I turn on the global illumination setting in the in-game graphics options.
Turning it off will fix it.

I also have a video for you.
CapFrameX and PresentMon OSD are displayed and recorded.
The video is recorded in a city with more than 10 player characters displayed, and in a city with only one player character.
The video of the difference of ON-OFF of the global illumination.

ngs01.mp4
Video showing 10-20+ players in a city

ngs02.mp4
Video showing only one player in the city

ngs03.mp4
Video with global illumination off showing 10-20+ players in a city

ngs04.mp4
Video with global illumination off showing only yourself in the city

Where did I purchase this game?
This game is a free-to-play game.
And there are two versions, Japanese version and Global version.
If you want to play this game in Japan, you can only play it on the official Sega Japanese version (https://lp.pso2.jp/)
If you are outside of Japan, you can play the global version (https://pso2.com/lp/).

I am a Japanese user, so I play on the Japanese version.
However, the content of the game is the same between the Japanese version and the global version.

Please forgive me for the long explanation.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HarunoYomogi

Thank you for sharing this detailed description. I will proceed in coordinating this with our team and get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HarunoYomogi, 

I would like to apologize that it take me some time to response. Let me make it up to you. To test the compatibility of the game with other drivers, we highly recommend performing a graphics driver installation with driver versions 31.0.101.5444 and 31.0.101.5186_101.5234 . Kindly please make sure to use DDU when reinstalling this drivers. 

By the way, we also noticed several platforms offer this game. Can you please let us know which specific game distributor are you utilizing for this game? This information is crucial for us to accurately replicate and address the issue.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
HarunoYomogi
Beginner

Hello Ramyer M.

I am currently using 31.0.101.5445.
But the performance situation is still the same.
I also tried the previous driver 31.0.101.5444.
but the performance did not change.

I have tried every driver update since I bought my arc a770LE in January 2023.
The performance situation has not changed.

When installing drivers, I use DDU to uninstall and then re-install.

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 NEW GENESIS is available in Japanese domestic only and global versions

PSO2NGS Japan domestic version is available from SEGA's website (https://pso2.jp/players/)
Download directly (https://pso2.jp/players/manual/setup/pc/)
STEAM, EPIC and XBOXstore are not used
If you are accessing from Japan, you will be forced to use the Japan domestic version.

PSO2NGS Global Edition is available on STEAM, EPIC, and XBOXstore when used on PC.
I can't access it from Japan.

I live in Japan, so I play PSO2NGS Japan domestic version.
I tried to install the PSO2NGS global version for testing, but I could not access it!

I apologize again for the long explanation!

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HarunoYomogi, 

Thank you for sharing this details. Let us investigate internally for you and get back to you on this thread as soon as possible. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HarunoYomogi, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. We are still continuously investigating this for you. We do have additional questions regarding this concern. As such, please share with us the following details: 

1. Did you encounter this issue Out of the Box or did it happened just recently? If it happened recently, what changed in the system (e.g. older Arc driver with no issue and issue encountered with a newer one, etc.)
  2. Upon checking the SSU file we saw that you have multiple drives. Please let us know which of the drive is the game installed.
  3. We've observed that you mentioned gaming at WQHD (1440p) resolution, but the System Support Utility (SSU) logs indicate your monitor's resolution is 1920x1200. To help us understand your setup better and provide accurate support, could you please provide us with the model of your monitor? Additionally, it would be helpful to know if you are using a multi-monitor setup.
  4. Have you also tried using the Arc 101.5522 driver ? How did it go? 
  5. When turn with Global Illumination on and off, are there any difference in performance as well?

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
HarunoYomogi
Beginner

Hello Ramyer M.
Thank you for your research.

I would like to answer your questions.

Question #1 Answer.
Yes, I have had performance issues since I purchased it.
Prior to using arc a770 I was using a GeForce GTX1070Ti
I have confirmed that the arc a770 is slower than the GTX1070Ti when a large number of other people's player characters are displayed when compared to the GTX1070Ti

Answer to question #2.
The drive where the game is installed is drive D.

Answer to question #3
I usually use dual monitors
I use a Cintiq 24HDT (1920x1200) and a 27GL83A-B (2560x1440).
When playing games, I enable only the 27GL83A-B in the display settings in windows.
I have enabled Adaptive Sync.

Answer to question #4
Yes, I am using 101.5522driver.
Unfortunately, the performance of PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 NEW GENESIS has not been improved.

Answer to question #5
The only difference between turning Global Illumination on and off is Micro Stutter due to Frametime disturbance.
There is not much difference in performance.

Good luck with your investigation.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HarunoYomogi, 

Thank you for such a comprehensive answer. We will continue investigating this internally along with this additional details and get back to you as soon as possible. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HarunoYomogi,

Thank you for patiently waiting. Upon coordinating with our team, we have additional questions to properly investigate for you. Please share the following details: 

1. Location of Drive Could you specify whether Drive D is located on the external USB SSD, the SATA SSD, or within the 2 SATA HDDs? This inquiry stems from the details observed in the SSU logs.

2. Monitor Configuration: For a better gaming experience, we suggest using only one monitor. If feasible, please disconnect any additional monitors and try playing the game with a single display.

3. Game Version Confirmation: We have attempted to use the Japanese version of the software but encountered difficulties due to language barriers. Consequently, we have switched to the English version from Steam. To enhance our troubleshooting, could you kindly inform us of the exact game version you are using?

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
HarunoYomogi
Beginner

Hello Ramyer M.

Question #1 Answer.
Drive D is an M.2-SSD.
My PC storage environment is
C drive: M.2-SSD-1TB (CPU_PCIe connection)
D drive: M.2-SSD-1TB (PCH_PCIe connection)
E drive: M.2-SSD-500GB (PCH_PCie connection)
F, G, and H drives: SATA-HDD-6TB
I, J drives: SATA-HDD-3TB
K drive: SATA-SSD-512GB
Q drive: BDdrive

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 NEW GENESIS is installed on drive D.

USB-HDD is not always connected, it may have been connected when the SSU log was acquired
I will learn a new SSU and let you know.

Question #2 Answer.
Yes, I played the game with only one monitor connected.
There was little change in performance.

Answer to question #3
Thank you for trying the Japanese version.

The Japanese version is.
Launcher Version 07.00.30
Game Version 7.2701.0
The version of the Japanese version is.

I have a microstutter symptom that occurs when global illumination is turned on in the graphics options.
Changing Scanlin sync in RivaTuner to +1 or -1
This can be suppressed by changing the Scanlin sync of RivaTuner to +1 or -1.
I don't know if this will help you solve the problem, but I will report it.
I will also post a video of it.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HarunoYomogi,

Thank you for sharing this details, Kindly please allow us sometime to investigate this internally and I promise to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HarunoYomogi,

We appreciate your patience and contribution to the communities. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in response as we continue investigating this issue for you. I understand that it has taken us sometime , however rest assured we are dedicated towards finding a resolution. To bring us one step closer, we would like to confirm the following details: 

1. Were you able to uninstall the GTX 1070 Ti drivers prior to installing the Arc GPU? If not, please make sure to use the DDU to remove remnants of the GTX 1070 Ti driver.
  2. We have just recently released a new driver version of Intel Arc A770. Kindly please install the Arc driver 32.0.101.5768. Please make sure that you used DDU first for existing Arc drivers . After doing so, please let us know of the results. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
HarunoYomogi
Beginner

Hello Ramyer M
Thank you for your research.

Question #1 Answer.
I used DDU to remove the GeForce driver before installing the Arc GPU.

Now when a new Arc driver is released, I still use DDU to remove it before installing it.
At that time I use DDU to remove the RADEON & Geforce drivers just in case.

Question #2 answered.
I have installed the new Arc driver 32.0.101.5768.
This new driver showed a small but significant improvement!

The problem is that when more than 25-30 other player characters including myself are displayed in the screen, the fps drops drastically.

Before 5768 driver 35-40fps
5768 driver 38-45fps
Increased by 3 to 5 fps.

The fps when only one player character is displayed in the screen.
It depends on the scene, but it seems to have increased by 0 to 15 fps.

Sorry for the small report as I have not been able to do much testing yet.
I will do some more testing and report later.

0 Kudos