Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1966 Discussions

Random Post-Failure with A770

Niklas1887
Beginner

Hello,

I am in need for help and was not able to find a solution for this problem for several weeks:

I built a new PC with:

• Intel Arc A770
  • i5-13600k
  • MSI Tomahawk Wifi DDR5 Motherboard
  • 32 GB Corsair Vengeance ram

Sometimes when booting the PC, it will not even boot into bios and there is no display output. The EZ-Debug LED on the motherboard does not light up at all.

I tried reseating the GPU, reconnecting all cables, checking for shorts on the mobo, updating BIOS, resetting CMOS Battery.

The problem does not occur, when booting the PC without the GPU. 

It seems to appear completely random. Most of the time the PC boots on first try, but sometimes it needs multiple reboots. Sometimes it even goes into a boot-loop for several iterations.

Is this a known issue or could i have a defective card?

Thank your for any help.

P.S.: There seem to be no problems in normal operation when the PC booted successfully. All games run fine and there is just a bit of coil whine.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Niklas1887

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communities. I am sorry you are experiencing no boot issues on your system with Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics.

Let's try to reset your BIOS settings to defaults, and share with us the following information:

• What is your Power Supply wattage?
  • Is Resizable Bar Enabled on your system?
  • Create a log file with the Intel® System Support Utility and attach it to your response to get more information on the hardware configuration. 
  • Create a System report following these instructions. Only use the instructions under Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC).

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Niklas1887
Beginner

Hello Hugo,

sorry for the late answer.

It has been working a couple of times but the problem happened again-

• It's a 750W PSU
  • Resizable Bar is enabled
  • Log is attached
  • System report is attached

Let me know if I can supply more information.

Best regards

Niklas

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Niklas1887

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best Regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Niklas1887

Thank you for letting us know. Did you also reset your BIOS to default settings?

We would also recommend that you test your system using a minimal configuration: motherboard, processor, GPU, one SSD, and only one RAM module. As well as testing each RAM module in every of the motherboard's RAM slots one at a time.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Niklas1887
Beginner
Hello Hugo,

I already tried resetting the bios to default settings multiple times.

I also tried the minimal configuration with just the processor, cooler, ssd and one ram stick. There were no issues.

BR
Niklas
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Niklas1887

Please try using a minimal configuration while having the GPU installed which is the one suspected to cause the issue and let us know if the same issue happens that way. Make sure to follow the instructions in my previous post and test each RAM individually in each of the RAM slots of the motherboard.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Niklas1887
Beginner

Hello Hugo,

I have tried the suggested configuration.

GPU, Processor, 1 SSD, 1RAM, Motherboard.

I tried each RAM in every slot.

Every single combination eventually (after a few boots) had the issue of not booting completely. There were some notable other effects:

• The first time, with RAM stick 1 in slot DIMM A2: For a few seconds, the sceen showed the message: "There is no VBIOS support detected in this card. 'BIOS CSM/UEFI Mode' setting in BIOS will be changed to 'UEFI'. Press any key or wait 3 seconds to continue", as described here: Boot Issue with Intel® Arc™ A750 or A770 Graphics Card. It then booted
  • Another time with RAM stick 2 in slot DIMM A2: Instead of not posting with no EZ-Debug LED, the VGA-LED lit up. It did not continue to boot. This also did happen before, though very seldom.

Every other time, also with the combinations mentioned above, the no-post issue occured at some point.

Btw: Intel ARC control tells me, that the drivers are up to date.

Thank you for your continued support.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Niklas1887

Thanks for testing and sharing with us the information. The error message that you got from the BIOS screen is not supposed to happen in GPU with firmware 20.1053.0 which is the one your GPU has installed, however, there could be a compatibility issue between motherboard and GPU. Is there any possibility for you to test a different motherboard? Also, Could you please test different DisplayPort cables?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Niklas1887
Beginner
  • Hello Hugo,

I could test the GPU on a significantly older Motherboard at work on monday. 

I already tried different DiplayPort cables and bought new cables because I read about similar issues that could happen with specific cables.

If the compatibility between MoBo and GPU is the issue, would it make sense, waiting for BIOS-Updates or could it be incompatible on the hardware level? 

P.S: I checked with MSI and the Mobo and GPU should be compatible.

BR

Niklas

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Niklas1887

It is possible that a BIOS update might fix the issue but that is not a guarantee, we cannot guarantee full compatibility with every motherboard on the market but we are adding compatibility in drivers as well.

I see that you were able to test a different motherboard, What was the outcome of that? Was the issue not happening on the other motherboard? And what is the make and model of that motherboard?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Niklas1887
Beginner

Hello Hugo,

I did not get the chance to test it yet but can hopefully find some time to test tomorrow morning as I can not take the other PC home with me.

I will post here as soon as I have results.

Best regards,

Niklas

0 Kudos
Niklas1887
Beginner

Hello Hugo,

I tested on the other motherboard with basically the same problem. 

No Boot, VGA LED lit. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it does not.

The other Motherboard was a ASUS Z-170A.

Best regards,

Niklas

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Niklas1887

Thank you for letting us know. We will be checking the information that we have gathered so far and we will post back once there is an update regarding your issue.

Best Regards

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Niklas1887

After reviewing this issue with our team and based on the information and troubleshooting you have done so far, we will advise you to process a warranty replacement for your GPU, please contact your place of purchase in order to process the replacement or in case you have any issue with your place of purchase feel free to contact us directly.

U.S. and Canada: Intel Customer Support 

Europe, Middle East, and Africa: Intel Customer Support EMEA  

Asia-Pacific: Intel Customer Support APAC  

Latin America: Intel Customer Support LAR   

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Niklas1887

I see there are no further questions related to this topic so we will proceed to close this thread. Feel free to open a new topic if you need further assistance. 

Best Regards,  

Hugo O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos