Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1839 Discussions

Windows Update constantly automatically downloads and installs Intel graphics driver v31.0.101.4502.

Rashko
Beginner

I have Asus Rog G814JI.

I am installing the latest Intel driver https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html. After the restart, Windows update automatically downloads and installs the Intel graphics driver number 31.0.101.4502, so I always use the old version...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, Rashko.

Thank you for posting in our Community.

I understand that you have a laptop. Since this is an OEM (Asus Rog G814JI) original equipment manufacturer device, please take into consideration that our support may be limited since we are not familiar with the technology, settings, customizations, custom drivers, and features that the OEM has designed and installed your system. However, rest assured that I will exert my best effort to assist you with your concern to the best of my ability.

When you mention that "Windows Update is automatically reinstalling the older version of the Intel graphics driver after you install the latest one from the Intel website," it suggests there could be a conflict between the manually installed driver from the Intel website and the one automatically installed through Windows Update. Windows Update tends to revert to its own drivers, even if you've manually installed a newer version. This behavior can lead to issues, particularly if there are compatibility concerns between the two versions. 

I would like to know the following:

• Was the graphics driver working before?
  • May I know the exact driver version of the graphics that you are currently installing?

Moreover, If you have done any other tests please let me know the details so we don't cover the same ground twice. Additionally, I'd like to delve deeper and verify specifics like the graphics models, precise driver versions, and any system errors. Utilizing the Intel SSU tool will enable us to collect detailed information about your system setup, which could aid in identifying the underlying cause of this issue.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Rashko
Beginner
Hello, all I did was install the latest driver. As I said, it reverts to the old driver. I don't know if a new driver is needed. I just wanted to install the latest driver.
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello, Rashko.

Thank you for your update. This could be due to various reasons, such as compatibility issues or conflicts with existing drivers. We can explore further to understand why the new driver isn't sticking and find a solution to ensure you're running the latest version.

First, try installing the latest graphics driver version over the version Windows* update installed. Make sure you do not uninstall the version Windows* Update previously installed. 

Important note: 

1. Before starting the process, make sure that the operating system version is an official release, not a Microsoft Insider program build.
  2. This procedure will need to be followed again after a major Windows OS installation; for example, when upgrading from Windows 11 21H2 to 22H2.

In case the workaround above does not work, you can manually install the graphics driver using the following steps:

1. Download the appropriate driver for your system from the appropriate link below:
  1. Click the Download button to download the .exe file.
  2. Run the downloaded .exe.
  3. During the installation process, when you reach the Install stage, click the Customize button.
  4. Make sure not to enable the Execute a clean installation check box.
  5. After finishing the driver installation, click the Optional reboot button

Temporarily disable Windows Updates:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click Update & Security.
  3. Click Windows Update.
  4. Click Advanced options button.
  5. Under the Pause updates section, use the drop-down menu to select how long to disable updates.

Moreover, Windows* automatic updates may contain important security updates or important stability improvements. Disabling automatic updates will not install these updates.

I'd like to direct you to an article that could potentially resolve the issue: Windows* Update Keeps Rolling Back Graphics Driver to a Previous Version

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Rashko,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the information we posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter. 

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello Rashko,

I trust you're doing well.

I have not heard back from you, we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos