Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1832 Discussions

windows auto driver downgrade

Bandit8623
New Contributor II

Bandit8623_0-1697078636419.png

Bandit8623_1-1697078663948.png

can you guys/gals update your base driver for microsoft?  or tell microsoft to stop downgrading driver versions?

everytime i do a windows update search it auto grabs an old driver.  

only work around is to pause updates for a week at a time.  

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ZupoLlask
Beginner

I'm also seeing this behavior.

I got downgraded to version 31.0.101.4575.

Barbra
Beginner

To avoid driver updates that roll back your driver to whatever Microsoft thinks it should be, you need to create a group policy that forbids auto-updating drivers.

Most drivers out there are garbage anyway. Asus Armory Crate is basically spyware. Logitech drivers are totally not needed (and for their G.Saitek line, they CAN'T make new drivers for their yokes and pedals - they don't have the source, which is from the Windows 9x/XP era anyway ... the company they bought their flight yoke and rudder pedal designs from - Mad Cats - can't fix it either. After all, that would mean getting a Windows XP install running, finding the 20-year-old compiler, etc.)

0 Kudos
Barbra
Beginner

This one is TOTALLY on Microsoft. You have to create a group policy that forbids automatic driver updates.

Otherwise, Windows WILL "update" with whatever it thinks is the right driver. Stupid Windows.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Barbra   This is easily handled with the Microsoft wuShowHide tool.

Download and install the driver you want.

Reboot.

Immediately run the wuShowHide tool (attached) and hide/block the Microsoft driver update you do not want.

There is no need to mess with Group Policies.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

Bandit8623
New Contributor II

Ill try the tool but still intel needs to update the windows repository as well.  the driver microsoft has is really old.  nvidia drivers dont downgrade like this btw.  so cant just be a microsoft problem.

0 Kudos
TechieGuy
Beginner

same, it's a total nightmare, and this is not the first time, I have had this more than once in two months.    
I just got ARC to download the newest 101.5382 version.
the next windows 11 said I needed to reboot after a GFX update. I opened arc and its gone to some older 100 version.

after the reboot ARC will not open, and I cannot quit the open icon..

0 Kudos