Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Enabling remote control port

sorkargg
Beginner
Hi,
while using manageability commander tool, I managed to connect to the vpro computer. Using the web interface I was able to reset the computer. But when I try to display the terminal it says :"Intel AMT remote control port is disabled. Please enable before entering terminal."
Funny thing is that I didn't have this message yesterday for the same action.

Where can I enable the remote control port?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - sorkargg
Hi,
while using manageability commander tool, I managed to connect to the vpro computer. Using the web interface I was able to reset the computer. But when I try to display the terminal it says :"Intel AMT remote control port is disabled. Please enable before entering terminal."

So, you can get to the web interface and reset the computer through the web interface. When you say you're trying to display the terminal, do you mean you're trying to use the Take Control button to establish a SOL session? Mainly I want to make sure I know what you're trying to do through the Commander.

If that is what you're trying to do, you can check the setting through the Managability Commander by going to the Remote Control tab after you connect to that system through the Commander. You might need to go in to the MEBx to set the command

Also, what is your systems AMT version?
0 Kudos
sorkargg
Beginner
Quoting - sorkargg
Hi,

So, you can get to the web interface and reset the computer through the web interface. When you say you're trying to display the terminal, do you mean you're trying to use the Take Control button to establish a SOL session? Mainly I want to make sure I know what you're trying to do through the Commander.

If that is what you're trying to do, you can check the setting through the Managability Commander by going to the Remote Control tab after you connect to that system through the Commander. You might need to go in to the MEBx to set the command

Also, what is your systems AMT version?

Hi,
yes, I can get to the web interface and reset the computer through the web interface.
but I can't click on take control button because it isn't clickable and when I try to access it via : edit>take control, it displays the error message : "Intel AMT remote control port is disabled. Please enable before entering terminal."

the AMT version is 5.0.1

When I go into the remote control tab, the take control button is grey (unclickable) and every remote control option : "serial over lan, ide redirect, redirection port" have unknown status. Moreover, in the intel management engine tab, everyhing has an unknown status except for AMT version, interaction type and remote access which is permanently loading ( that last status never changes).

when I click on : Help>show debug information I get this :

When I try to access it via network defense tool I get a more brutal error "IMR_RES_SOCKET_ERROR" which is a socket error according to the doc.

The only thing I did between the moment it was working and the moment it wasn't was to reset the TCP/IP stack on both computers because I had somehow lost the ability to connect to the local host.

The serial over lan (terminal) works on the vpro computer when accessed with manageability outpost tool

Tell me if you need any additionnal information.
0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I

Hello sorkagg,

I understand that you cann't take control because the SOL status is unknown as shownon this picture:

But this is quite normal, the commander takes some seconds (it depends on your enviromentconfiguration)to getSOL status, so if you wait some time you'll notice that SOL status is adquired:

So, please wait and see if SOL status is adquired (read)and ensure that "Redirection port" is enabled.

Javier Andrs Cceres Alvis
0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I

I forgot to mention that "Redirection Port" parameter sometimes gets disabled after a provision process.

Javier Andrs Cceres Alvis

0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee

How did you provision the AMT system? That might impact some of the behavior you're seeing.

But as for setting the ports, probably the most straightforward way is to go into the MEBx and do so. Typically you do so by pressing Ctrl-P during boot, but it depends on your system, some OEM's might incorporate the MEBx as part of the BIOS.

There's documentation on the settings in the MEBx in the Small Business Configuration User Guide that's part of the latest SDK documents. But in short, you'd enter the MEBx password that you set on the system, then select the "Intel AMT Configuration" Menu. From there, you'd select the "SOL/IDE-R" Menu, and make sure the three options there (Username and Password, Serial Over LAN, and IDE Redirection) are enabled.

Andy
0 Kudos
sorkargg
Beginner

How did you provision the AMT system? That might impact some of the behavior you're seeing.

But as for setting the ports, probably the most straightforward way is to go into the MEBx and do so. Typically you do so by pressing Ctrl-P during boot, but it depends on your system, some OEM's might incorporate the MEBx as part of the BIOS.

There's documentation on the settings in the MEBx in the Small Business Configuration User Guide that's part of the latest SDK documents. But in short, you'd enter the MEBx password that you set on the system, then select the "Intel AMT Configuration" Menu. From there, you'd select the "SOL/IDE-R" Menu, and make sure the three options there (Username and Password, Serial Over LAN, and IDE Redirection) are enabled.

Andy
I already configures the MEBx like said in the user guide... so small enterprise provisionning and the three options are enabled (otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect via web right?)

Fact is that the take control button and the status remains grey all the time. Somehow now i can access the terminal (after removing CMOS from motherboard for 30 sec and reconfiguring everything) and give orders, but I still can't load the status. The situation mysteriously halfway resolved itself
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - sorkargg
I already configures the MEBx like said in the user guide... so small enterprise provisionning and the three options are enabled (otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect via web right?)

Fact is that the take control button and the status remains grey all the time. Somehow now i can access the terminal (after removing CMOS from motherboard for 30 sec and reconfiguring everything) and give orders, but I still can't load the status. The situation mysteriously halfway resolved itself

You would be able to connect to the web interface without the three options I mentioned enabled, those are just for SOL and IDE-R (they can be disabled separately since they're more sensitive). There's actually a separate option for enabling/disabling the web interface elsewhere.

So you unprovisioned the system by removing the CMOS battery and then reprovisioned, and now you can take control using a menu option (but not the take control button). And by load the status, you mean that the 3 Remote Control tab options (SOL, IDE Redirect, and Redirection Port) are always listed as unknown?
0 Kudos
sorkargg
Beginner
So you unprovisioned the system by removing the CMOS battery and then reprovisioned, and now you can take control using a menu option (but not the take control button). And by load the status, you mean that the 3 Remote Control tab options (SOL, IDE Redirect, and Redirection Port) are always listed as unknown?

I can click take control button but the 3 remote control tab options status (sol, ide redirect, redirection port) are listed as unknown. Actually the remote control now works but I just can't see the status. Perhaps it's not that important anyway, since the initial problem is solved somehow =).

EDIT : OK I remade the mistake, it was to choose "power down" in the remote control options while running several applications. The terminal then displays IMR_RES_SOCKET_ERROR and kills the commander. Power down is pretty violent I wouldn't recommend to use it even for test purpose (even if it was prety funny at the moment... like BAOUMM)
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - sorkargg

I can click take control button but the 3 remote control tab options status (sol, ide redirect, redirection port) are listed as unknown. Actually the remote control now works but I just can't see the status. Perhaps it's not that important anyway, since the initial problem is solved somehow =).

EDIT : OK I remade the mistake, it was to choose "power down" in the remote control options while running several applications. The terminal then displays IMR_RES_SOCKET_ERROR and kills the commander. Power down is pretty violent I wouldn't recommend to use it even for test purpose (even if it was prety funny at the moment... like BAOUMM)

Yes, Power down is about the same as holding down the power button on the system to force power down. Mainly it's intended as a recovery mechanism for the case when it's no longer possible to do a power down through the OS, when the OS is non-responsive. For the most part if the OS is responsive you'd want to execute a controlled shutdown using the OS with an agent you'd deployed (or by making a remote WMI or WSMAN call, assuming you had the appropriate permissions)

So it sounds like your issue is resolved, at least from the perspective of using Serial over LAN. It is kind of peculiar that you're still seeing the 3 display option's listed as unknown, I'll bounce that up to the support team as something to watch for.
0 Kudos