Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Enterprise Mode...and...Small Business Mode

alberto_sagan
Beginner
Hi,

I have a problem with these two modes.

Im going to explain you all my work done till today.

First of all, I had installed in my computer Windows Vista and I had enabled Intel AMT Technology. I had Enterprise Mode active, but I couldnt connect via WebUI.
I changed to Windows XP Pro and Enterprise Mode...I had AMT Enabled(taskbar notice) but I still couldnt connect via WebUI.
I changed to Small Business Mode and finally, I can connect via WebUI.
If I change to Enterprise Mode now...I have disabled Intel AMT Technlogy(taskbar notice) and I have every driver an BIOS settings properly configurated.

Can you help me to have Enterprise Mode with Intel AMT Technology active and be able to connect via WebUI???

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
18 Replies
DAN_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

What do you mean by having "AMT Enabled"? did you go through a full setup & config process (using either AMT Director from DTK, or SCS, or ...)? this process is needed only for the AMT Enterprise mode, not for Small Business... Also even when provisioning properly you should explicitly set WebUI enabled for the Enterprise mode.

Check for the different options available on your prefered Setup & Config server.

Hope that helps

Dan

0 Kudos
alberto_sagan
Beginner
I mean that in my taskbar appears : AMT Technology is enabled(or something like that).

I have configured properly settings in BIOS and installed all the necessary drivers in my OS. I havent used Director or SCS for provisioning...

Now I am in Small Business Mode and I can access AMT device via WebUI but it is required an user/password that I dont know what user or password I have to introduce

Can you help me?

Thanks
0 Kudos
carl_l
Beginner

If you have activated AMT and provisioned it in SMB you use the same password asyou enteredin MEBxand user admin.

Hope it works.

0 Kudos
alberto_sagan
Beginner
Hi,

I set a password in the ME BIOS : XXXXXXXXXXXX (for example)

But if I try to connect via webUI to the AMT device, it appears an intel web to Log On...I tick the button and it appears a console to introduce user and password...if I introduce there user: admin / password: XXXXXXXXXXXX ...it says there are something wrong...how is it possible?

What am I doing wrong?

I suppose I have configurated in SMB properly because if I havent, it wouldnt appear the Log On web...isnt it?

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
DAN_A_Intel
Employee

Basically WebUI authentication should work with admin/XXXXXXXX as you set in MEBx.

I recommand you to go through the following checklist to be sure yourSMB/Enterprise configuration is completed correctly: http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2008/01/28/tips-tricks-for-setting-up-accessing-an-intel-amt-client/

Dan

0 Kudos
alberto_sagan
Beginner
It is OK. In SMB Mode I can access via WebUI to my AMT device.

But if I change to Enterprise Mode I dont have enabled in the taskbar AMT Technology and when I change to SMB Mode everything is allright.

What is going on?

Could you help me?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

For Enterprise mode, you need to use either SCS or Manageability DTK for provisioning the system. Please refer to this blog for various tools that can be used for Enterprise Provisioning.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

I went through your questions again and was wondering what would you want to do here - Are you confused between SMB and Enterprise mode or are you trying to decide between the two? If so, the quick start guide will give you guidelines on this.

If you have decided on Enterprise mode, and would like to provision your system accordingly, you have to set it up in the Bios and then provision it using Manageability Director or SCS. I would like to know what are the settings you have done for Enterprise mode kin the Bios. The Strat Here guide that i mentioned earlier will help you to get started and properly configure the Bios settings.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
alberto_sagan
Beginner
Thanks for your answers.

First of all, I wanted to work on SMB to try a little with vPro and the different utilities.

And after that, I want to set Enterprise Mode to develop my project because I am in a big enterprise and I think it is the correct mode I have to use.

But my problem is that in SMB it works properly but in Enterprise Mode it isnt and I dont know why...because I configured the Bios properly(I think) and all the drivers are installed in my vPro machine.

Thanks
0 Kudos
alberto_sagan
Beginner
Hi again,

I can connect via Commander now, so everything is fine but Enterprise Mode.

Each time I change in BIOS to Enterprise Mode...AMT becomes disabled in taskbar...and when I re-change to SMB it becomes active again...without any other change nor in OS either BIOS.

I am using AMT 3.0.1 and DTK v0.54...and Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee

Both the links Sree posted previously will help you with the differences between SMB and Enterprise mode. But to sum up, setting enterprise mode does not fully configure AMT, it needs to be enabled by sending a hello packet to a Configuration server and get a response back. You can obtain the Intel AMT Setup and Configurtion Server from here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-latest-version-of-intel-amt-setup-and-configuration-service-scs, as well as documentation on how to use it and a technical overview.Setting up SCS issome additional work above what is required for SMB mode.

If you want to use Enterprise mode, I'd highly recommend the previous two documents Sree linked so you can evaluate the differences. If you just are experimenting with AMT, I'd recommend using SMB mode.

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello Alberto,

When you change to Enterprise Mode in the BIOS, you are actually not completing the whole setup that Enterprise Mode expects. You will need to then go through the steps required by either the AMT ManageabilityDirector or the SCS in order to finish the provisioning. Once you do, you will be able to access the Web UI through https and port 16993, instead of the SMB port which is 16992. I suggest that you start with the Director as it is much easier to use.

If you have not already done so, please go to the Manageability DTK Download page and take a look at some of the reference links. The one called "Using Manageability Director Tool to configure TSL" may be of interest.

0 Kudos
alberto_sagan
Beginner
Hi, thanks all for your answers.

I have understood what I have to do, but to do it I need to use Director...and I get an error each time I launch it...but you havent helped me with that...could anyone tell me why Director doesnt work in my machine?

In the post called "Problems using Director" I have posted the log I find eacht time I launch and what system I am using...please answer me in that post.

Thanks again
0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I

Hello Alberto,

One thing to verify It's that you run the application with a user withgranted permissions for openningTCP port's (because Director will try to open 9971 port and maybe a Firewall or another thing is blocking it).

Javier Andrs
0 Kudos
alberto_sagan
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

One thing to verify It's that you run the application with a user withgranted permissions for openningTCP port's (because Director will try to open 9971 port and maybe a Firewall or another thing is blocking it).

Javier Andrs

When I use DTK, I disconnect Firewall to avoid all these kinds of problems.

The log error it gives to me is that "index exceeds matrix dimensions"...and I dont know why

Thanks
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - alberto_sagan

Hello Alberto,

Javier Andrs

When I use DTK, I disconnect Firewall to avoid all these kinds of problems.

The log error it gives to me is that "index exceeds matrix dimensions"...and I dont know why

Thanks

Hi Alberto,

Are you running the Director as "Administrator?" I think that is what Javier is asking. Also, did you try doing the things that folks have suggested in your other post?

0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Hello Alberto,
You can also try to use a different tool to perform the Enterprise mode setup and configuration. Download the SDK and look in the "WindowsIntel_Manageability_Configuration" folder. In this folder, you will find everything that you need to run the Setup and Configuration Application. The SCA works very nicely for performing setup and configuration in a testing environment. The tool runs from a command prompt on the server system. No .Net required. You'll need to read the docs to really get a handle on how to use the SCA for your testing, but I can say from experience that it is everybit as functional as AMT Director for setting up and configuring Enterprise AMT system.
Regards,
Roger

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel
Hi Roger,
Thanks for sharing this info.
Sree

0 Kudos