Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

How to change the initial AMT password from Windows

Ville_K_
Beginner

Hi,

Our goal is to change the initial admin password for the computers from Windows via software deployment / operating system deployment.

I have tried to use this method:

Created a profile with the ACUWizard and used the following syntax to configure the VPro

ACUConfig.exe /Output File C:\windows\debug\intelamtinstalllog.txt ConfigAMT AMTSet1.xml /DecryptionPassword "decryption_password" /AbortOnFailure /AdminPassword "admin"

but I get these errors

2015-09-03 09:55:54:(INFO) : ACU Configurator , Category: HandleOutPut: Starting log 2015-09-03 09:55:54
2015-09-03 09:55:54:(INFO) : ACU Configurator, Category: -Unknown Operation-: computername: Starting to configure AMT...
2015-09-03 09:58:45:(ERROR) : ACU Configurator , Category: ConfigAMT failed: A call to this function has failed - (0xc000278b) (Connection to the Remote Configuration Service is necessary, but the RCSParameters tag is missing in the profile. (RCSAddress))
2015-09-03 09:58:45:(ERROR) : ACU Configurator, Category: Exit: ***********Exit with code 68. Details: Invalid parameter was found.  (RCSAddress)

Any suggestions what I am doing wrong. This computer has not been configured via remote configuration service and it still tries to contact it

Is there other possibilities than ACUConfig.exe to set the password? seems that the command enables the VPro network and tries to connect using the FQDN name

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gael_H_Intel

By Initial Admin password, do you mean prior to configuring/enabling your AMT Client?  You must change it during the configuration process to something other than "admin". Once your AMT Client is enabled, should be able to change the admin password, as well as add new AMT Users.  Note that if you change the password, it will no longer be synced with the MEBx password.

0 Kudos
Ville_K_
Beginner

Yes, the first step where AMT is enabled. How could we automate that step without using remote configuration service.

The goal is just to secure the AMT chip at operating system deployment, not to configure anything else yet.

0 Kudos
PJens
Beginner

Ville K. wrote:

Yes, the first step where AMT is enabled. How could we automate that step without using remote configuration service.

The goal is just to secure the AMT chip at operating system deployment, not to configure anything else yet.

Is it possible to get an answer to this old post?

I would also like to secure my AMT password remotely. I want to change all the default passwords from admin to something secure without having to touch all of them in person. We want to run it through SCCM in the end. Any suggestions for that?

0 Kudos
SteveWells
Beginner

Was a solution to this ever found?

Thanks.

0 Kudos