Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Need some help in Intel Vpro Technologies

ganeshkumargm
Beginner

Hi ,

I am new to intel Vpro Technologies.Pleasehelp me out inansweringthe questions below.

1) How to configure the Intel Vpro clients so that it can beaccessed even when there is power off ?

2) Is it possible for the third party tool from the remotesystem to query the Intel Vpros System assets informations ,duringthe power off?

3) If query 2 is possible then what is the protocol or what could be the format of query? Or do we need to write an agent using Intel SDK & put in the entire vpro client machine so that the third party tool will query the agent.

4) In my Intel Vpro machine I can only access the home of IntelVpro web server running in EXBIOS. When I tried the login button it says

Web browser access to Intel Active Management Technology is disabled on this computer, or the page in the address bar is unavailable.

5) What all the pre-requisites (drivers or any softwares) have to be installed in order to test or access the system assets information from Intel Vpro client machine by a third party tool.

Best Regards,

Ganesh

HSBTechnologies Pvt Ltd

Bangalore.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Ganesh,

Welcome to manageability forum. Most of your questions will be answered at these links - http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-active-management-technology-intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk-start-here-guide, http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/architecture-guide-intel-active-management-technology, http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-active-management-technology-use-cases. I highly recommend you to go through them.

Coming to your questions:

1) How to configure the Intel Vpro clients so that it can beaccessed even when there is power off ?

Please refer to Link 1 where it talks about provisioning the vPro client in SMB mode. Start with SMB mode and once you get more familiar with it, you can try out enterprise mode.

2) Is it possible for the third party tool from the remotesystem to query the Intel Vpros System assets informations ,duringthe power off?

Yes it is possible. For software inventory, you need to have an in-band agent to write the information to the third party data storage, after that this information is available all the time even when the system is turned off.

3) If query 2 is possible then what is the protocol or what could be the format of query? Or do we need to write an agent using Intel SDK & put in the entire vpro client machine so that the third party tool will query the agent.

Intle AMT exposes SOAP interface and WS-Man for some of the features. Please browse through the above links for more information. You will need to use the SDK to develop your applications to retrieve the asset inventory. For your convenience, the SDK also has a sample for this. Be sure to look into it.

4) In my Intel Vpro machine I can only access the home of IntelVpro web server running in EXBIOS. When I tried the login button it says

Web browser access to Intel Active Management Technology is disabled on this computer, or the page in the address bar is unavailable.

You will have to give me more information. How is the system provisioined? May be web UI is disabled.

5) What all the pre-requisites (drivers or any softwares) have to be installed in order to test or access the system assets information from Intel Vpro client machine by a third party tool.

For accessing hardware inventory from a remote system, there are not requirements of any drivers needed. If you plan to get software inventory also, all of the vPro clients need to have Intel AMT software that will be provided by OEM. Also you need to deploy a software agent that can collect the inventory and write it to the Third Party Data Storage (3PDS).

Please let us know if we can be of more help. Welcome to AMT software development.

0 Kudos
ganeshkumargm
Beginner

Hi Ajith Illendula,

Thanks for your support. But i could nt sort it out the problem.

Please help me in answering the following questions ...

I have a vPro machine with " Intel Active Management Technology 2.1.0 in Bios ". My System BIOS configuration screen is different from the example
screen in the intel web site (screen from the Link that you recommended last time).

The configuration what i made through the BIOS of Intel AMT Configuartion is Exactly shown below

Intel Management Engine Configuration
Management Feature
Turn on Intel ME in sleep state
Intel ME After Power Failure
Idle Time Out [0]

Intel Active Management Technology Configuration
ComputerName vPro
TCP IP Configuration
Domain Name

DHCP Enabled []
IP Address 192.168.1.207
SubnetMask 255.255.255.0
Gate Way Address 192.168.1.1
PreFerred DNS Address x.x.x.x
Alternate DNS Address x.x.x.x

Provisioning Configuration
Provisioning Mode
Compatibility Mode

SQL/IDER Configuration
SQL/IDER Authentication Mode
RPTC Configuration
Set PRTC in GMT YYYY:MM:DD:HH:MM:SS Format

the interesting part is Provisioning Mode and Compatibility Mode are not editable.

2) Once i changed the Provision Mode to SMB then i cannot change it to Enterprise. (Means this options becomes non editable) why it is like this ?
Cant we change it back to Enterprise from BIOS or from any where ?

Under this link http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-active-management-technology-intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk-start-here-guide i can see
Intel AMT
Release 1.0
Features

Intel AMT
Release 2.0/2.1
Features

Intel AMT Release 2.2

Intel AMT
Release 2.5
Features

Intel AMT
Release 3.0
Features

My Big doubt is
These are all SDK softwares need to be downloaded in another machine to Remotely manage the Vpro Machine ? or
these are the Driver softwares need to be installed in the Intel Vpro client machine so that vPro can be monitored remotely ?

My Intel AMT Engine, inside the BIOS is of versi on "Intel Active Management Technology 2.1.0 "
How can we ugrade the Intel AMT Engine inside BIOS "Intel Active Management Technology 2.1.0" to
the higher version say "Intel Active Management Technology 3".

3) Yesterday i ran the project Discovery Inside the SDK and i got the output in the report.log as

Discovery finished successfully.
Found 1 AMT devices.
Authenticated Intel AMT devices:
Unauthenticated Intel AMT devices:
192.168.1.207:

NO TLS
Intel Active Management Technology 2.1.0

So i thought intel Vpro is working and i configured correctly.But when i tried the Asset Display application i got the following Error

C:Documents and SettingsGaneshDesktopIntelAMT1_Intel_AMT_Release_3.0_148862WindowsIntel AMT SDKSamplesAss
etDisplayDebug>AssetDisplay http://192.168.1.207:16992/HardwareAssetService

Calling function EnumerateAssetTypes...
Error: failed while calling EnumerateAssetTypes
SOAP failure: error code = 22

Why i could nt access the Asset of Intel Vpro Machine ?

4) I have tried this Url from the IE 7.0 "http://192.168.1.207:16992/SecurityAdministrationService"
A pop up window appeared and it asked for username & password .....
this is the information displayed in the Pop up box "The server 192.168.1.207 at Intel AMT (ID:EA6C988C-5A0A-DC11-A650-00E018BFD7CB) requires a username and password."
I have given the username as "admin" and password as "hanTZ1234$" (the one i have set in the Intel AMT Engine password from BIOS
But it is not opening the page what i am looking at, and it again asks the user name & passowrd. So what is the user name and password this pop box is expecting ?
Where can i set the username & passowrd ? Inside the BIOS of AMT Config there is no place for entering the user name & password.

I hope this could be the problem for my 3) question.

5) Which provisioning mode is more useful for Desktop Management ?

Thanks & Regards,

Ganesh
Hsbsoft Technologies Pvt Ltd
Banaglore

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

re:

> AssetDisplay http://192.168.1.207:16992/HardwareAssetService

Calling function EnumerateAssetTypes...
Error: failed while calling EnumerateAssetTypes
SOAP failure: error code = 22

Try adding the followiing to your command line: -user admin -pass

Also for specific help in setting up your OEM system, there should be user guides on your OEM's website (support and downloads for your particular system) that might help you out. I know HP has some good AMT docs on their site.

For anyone who is new to AMT, I would suggest Small Business mode and you can down load the AMT Developers Toolkit which has a Management Console that you can run and test drive AMT features. On the download page there are also a lot of links to Videos that you should take a look at.

Small Business Mode vs Enterprise modesare basically the difference between a non TLS environment without having Certificates/authentication and one operating in the more secure environment. Again for just exploring AMT, I would suggest SMB.

If you aren't able to access your AMTWeb UI (http:// of AMT system>:16992), make sure you can at least ping it. If you are certain your lan communication is set up correctly, make sure your browser or fire wall isn't blocking it. If that is the case, you won't be able to access the AMT client.

I know I didn't answer all your questions, but hopefully this answers a couple of them. Could you let us know if you can at least access the AMT Web UI?

0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Ganesh,

In order for you to change from SMB mode to Enterprise mode, you have to unprovision the system first and then by default it will be in Enterprise mode.

Regarding upgrading the firmware from 2.1 to 3.0, each version of firmware is platform dependent. The upgrade path for 2.1 is to 2.2.Intel AMT version 2.5 isonly intended for mobile platforms. AMT 3.0 is intended for desktop platforms with Q35 chipset.

The latest SDK available for download will support all of the firmware versions mentioned above. In order to use the SDK, you do not have to install any drivers. For any operations accessing the local manageability services, AMT client machine should have the Intel Management software(MEI & LMS drivers)installed.

Please make sure you have the latest version of BIOS and AMT Firmware. You can get these from your OEM.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
roycey
Beginner

Hi Ajith

We are still not able to access the AMT emabled machine at the url 192.168.1.100:16992.

I downloaded the Test Utility from the website and when I run it, it says that AMT is enabled and gives e a positive result.

I am able to ping this machine. But when I try to access this machine using the DTK it does not connect and when I use the RDK utility to connect it says that the machine does not support Vpro technology.

The configuration was done in the SB mode as explaing by Ganesh in the previous post.

Please tell us where we could be wrong.

Regards

Roycey

HSBSoft Technologies

0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Roycey,

Are you attempting to connect to AMT when the system is powered on or powered off?Lets try some basic debuggin techniques. You have mentioned that the AMT system is responding to ping, is this when the system is powered on? Can you also make sure that the firewall is turned off in the host OS.

I am assuming that you are attempting to connect to the AMT client from a remote system. What happens when you try to connect to it thorugh a web browser instead of DTK or RDK? Open a Internet Explorer or firefox browser, type int he URL as http://192.168.1.100:16992 and you should see a login page. When you click on login, please enter the AMT credentials (default user name is admin and the password you set when provisioning it in small business mode). Please make sure that the firewall on the remote system from where you are connecting is also turned off.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
roycey
Beginner

Hi Ajith

- I am trying to access the machine with power on.

- The machine responds to ping when on.

- When I try to coonect through the url http://192.168.1.100:16992, it shows page cannot be displayed.

- All firewall has been disabled on that machine

When I failed in all my attempts, I refered this document at this link

http://download.intel.com/business/vpro/pdfs/deployment_guide.pdf

According to this document, I re-configured my AMT machine using the SBM provisioning. I first tried the DHCP configuration as that was recomended and failed. Then I tried the Static IP configuration, where it was written that I should enter an IP address different from the host OS ip address. So this time I configured it as 192.168.1.60 (Host OS ip address is 192.168.1.100). Inspite of all this I still get 'page cannot be displayed' when I try to access the url. Since the host OS ip and the Management Engine are differnt, I am not able to ping the Manegment Engine Ip I.E 192.168.1.60

The test utility tool still says that AMT is enabled, and I also get a pop up window on every boot saying that AMT is enabled.

Is there anything that is to be done to get the UI access?

The other toold like the DTK and the rdk fail to connect.

Are the configuration done correctly? Especially the Static IP oncfiguration.?

Please advice.

Thanks

Roycey

0 Kudos
roycey
Beginner

Hi Ajith

I finally made it :). Though I dont know what exactly solved the problem. I reset to factory setting and then did all the configuration all over again.

Thanks

Roycey

0 Kudos