Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Null or Invalid GUID

johanvandberg
Beginner
I was wondering, is it possible to have the GUID null or invalid on an AMT system?

A collogue tells me it is possible on some systems when you pull out the power cord, take out the motherboard battery, and short the motherboard's battery pins to ensure all capacitors etc. are discharged.

Unfortunately we are not located in the same office or even have the same AMT systems in our test labs. I have tried this but my GUID stays whether that is from AMT or when it is read on the first boot after the procedure (via PXE).

Finally, if there is a way to get the GUID uninitialized, is it possible that the AMT system could register with the SCS using this invalid GUID?

Thank you for your inputs.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

The GUIDs are initialized, stored and handled by Bios. So, it is possible that an AMT device gets null or invalid GUID but AMT will detect it as invalid and won't use it.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
johanvandberg
Beginner
Thank you Sree.

Thinking of a contingency plan:
1) Will the system recover or re-generate the GUID at some point? On my AMT systems (2.1 and 3.0) I do not see a method for me to provide a new GUID. But maybe you can guide me to some reading material to do it then.
2) By saying AMT will not use it, do you mean the system is now incapable of provisioning (it should be in factory state at this point)?

Thanks.
Johan.

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

1) Will the system recover or re-generate the GUID at some point?

No. It is a bios issue and we can't do anything here

2) By saying AMT will not use it, do you mean the system is now incapable of provisioning (it should be in factory state at this point)?

It could be in the factory mode or in SMB mode if you put it in that way.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
lakec
Beginner

I have a simular problem...

I have about 20 computers reporting in my LANDesk Database with a AMT GUID of 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001. Is there a way to reset this value?

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

GUIDs are generally set by the Bios. Do you have the latest version of Bios on your systems? If not, please try upgrading the Bios.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos