Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Question about SMBIOS

redbarchetta
Beginner

I have a question about the SMBIOS on an Intel-based machine: basically, I want to add an OEM-specific type to the SMBIOS on all of my servers so that I can asset-tag them and track them over their entire lifecycle, regardless of what OS they run and what happens to them. I know that this is possible since the BIOS resides in flash and the server vendors all have utilities for reflashing the BIOS, but I also know that it's not easy :)
I want to try this out on a machine I have, a dual processor Xeon with an Intel E7520 Memory Controller Hub and an Intel 6300ESB LPC Interface Controller. Looking at the data sheets for these two chips it looks like I have to apply a certain configuration to map the flash from the LPC/FWH interface into the memory space. Is there anyone who can walk me through the steps needed to do this?

John

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

If your company has its own Intel representative, you may wish to inquire whether they are able to assist with this inquiry. Your company's Purchasing Department will normally have your Intel representative's contact information. If you have no contact, please see http://www.intel.com/buy/networking/design.htm under "Design Components".

If your location is not listed, please see an Intel Authorized Distributor and ask for a Field Application Engineer (FAE). Our Intel Authorized Distributor list is also linked from the URL above.

Thanks.

0 Kudos