Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Remote KVM no longer working thorugh MDTK

mcbsys
Novice

Hi,

I had Remote KVM working great through the MDTK. I documented the setup here. I don't use it often and recently discovered that UltraVNC gives me the message "Connection failed - End of Stream" no matter which machine I try to control.

Details:

- Running MDTK 1.35. (The latest version listed at http://www.meshcommander.com/open-manageability is 1.34, but when you install it, it says it is 1.35.) Also tried 1.31 with the same results.

- Remote test machines are running AMT 9.0.2 or 9.1.0.

- Security is set up as described in the first link above. Remote Desktop is "Enabled using redirection port."

- I get the connection to the remote with no problem. I can see all the Hardware Asset info, Event Log, etc. I can even see in the Audit Log that I had a successful KVM session in April 2016.

- When I click on "Launch Viewer," the connection fails with the "End of Stream" message.

- When I click on "Take Control, I get "Unable to connect to serial-over-lan port (IMR_RES_TIMEOUT) before the black window opens. It shows "TLS Secured, Serial-over-LAN - Disconnected."

This happens on multiple machines at different sites, whether connecting over the Internet or through a site-to-site VPN.

What could cause the remote control functions to stop working?

Thanks,

Mark Berry
MCB Systems

0 Kudos
25 Replies
mcbsys
Novice

Thorsten,

Thanks for that link to the current Manageability Commander, which is quite different from what I was using in 2016 (see screenshots above).

From the screenshot on page 7 of the Manageability Commander User's Guide, it does indeed look like this "official" product has now adopted the unofficial Mesh Commander UI and presumably functionality. I too would like to know what this means. Are they now equivalent? Will Mesh Commander stay around as the beta/testing platform for Manageability Commander, or will there only be one product going forward?

Mark Berry

0 Kudos
Joseph_O_Intel1
Employee

Hey guys,

Intel Manageability Commander (IMC) is a branch off of Mesh Commander. Basically if you want an Intel branded tool with support use Intel Manageability Commander. If you like Open Source tools that may or may not have bugs, but potentially (it does) may have features not available in IMC, then use Mesh Commander.

Mesh Commander also can be installed as a Web App, so that might be another reason to go with Mesh Commander

Joe

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

Thanks Joe. What features besides the Web App does Mesh offer that IMC does not? Or maybe it would be simpler to say what version Mesh was at when IMC was branched? The main thing I need that was a recent addition to Mesh was certificate management. Is that in IMC?

0 Kudos
Joseph_O_Intel1
Employee

Hey Mark,

Certificate Management feature of Mesh Central is not currently a part of Intel Manageability Commander (IMC),

Joe

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

Thanks Joe. I'd like to have the "branded tool with support" but certificate management is core functionality for setting up AMT. Hopefully they'll add that to IMC soon.

0 Kudos