Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Using Intel AMT from internet

sentinel80
Beginner
Hi alls!

I get my first intel MOBO Intel dq965gf and i have read from the intel amt.

Situation:
I have 1x SMC Barricade router and 2x PC

I want from internet my first PC (with AMT) power on or off from WEbui (typing http://.....:amtport)

Can i from internet using the DDNS (router settings, no-ip.com, NAT)power on my PC or i can only from LAN?

or i need another software to do this? any idea?

Can anybody help me?

thank you

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jacace
New Contributor I
Quoting - sentinel80
Hi alls!

Situation:

I want from internet my first PC (with AMT) power on or off from WEbui (typing http://.....:amtport)

Can i from internet using the DDNS (router settings, no-ip.com, NAT)power on my PC or i can only from LAN?

Can anybody help me?

thank you

Hi there,

I'm not sure but I think you can. I guess this is not related to AMT itself, it's about your customized infrastructure.

Bye,

Javier Andrs Cceres Alvis
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - sentinel80
Hi alls!

Situation:

Can anybody help me?

thank you

Hi there,

You can connect to your Intel AMT system from a remote system using the WebUI or from the Manageability DTK- you cannot manage your AMT System locally using these tools. You would need to download the DTK - it has a lot more functionality than the WebUI. Whichever tool you use, you must configure Intel AMT before you can begin manageing it (I would suggest Small Business Mode, initially.)

Since it sounds like you are new to Intel AMT, I will suggest that you look at the Start Here Guide and you also might want to download the Intel AMT Software Development Kit and read through some of the documents in the DOC folder (User's Guide, Overview.) We also have quite a few videos on our community site that you might want to watch in order to get an idea of how Intel AMT works. If you follow the "videos" link there isare videosthat thatdemonstrate how to enable (set up) an AMT Client on a notebooks anddesktopsystems. There are also quite a few videos regarding how to use the DTK.

Your systems will need to be connected via a network and you should make sure the firewalls are off because if not configured correctly, the firewall will not let you connect to your AMT systems. You also need to make sure that your router is not blocking AMT messages (make sure all the ports are open.)

After you have looked through those docs, and you still have questions, please let us know.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

You should first get things working inside you local network (refer to the information Gael provided).

Once you have confirmed that your configuration is working within the local network you will need to see if your router can be configured to pass traffic through to the AMT box. You may try port forwarding. As Javier pointed out, this real issue is going to be with your network infrastructure and not with AMT configuration.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

You should first get things working inside you local network (refer to the information Gael provided).

Once you have confirmed that your configuration is working within the local network you will need to see if your router can be configured to pass traffic through to the AMT box. You may try port forwarding. As Javier pointed out, this real issue is going to be with your network infrastructure and not with AMT configuration.

Javier and Lance make excellent points. Most often people have problems connecting with AMT because they may have a custom, or "different" network infrastructure and as being able to use AMT depends on the network configurations, this is often one of the first stumbling blocks. You should definitely do as Lance suggested and get it working in a local network (to verify to yourself that it does work) and then move to the more complicated network setup.
0 Kudos
Maria_Camila_Gomez-S
@sentinel80

Once you have figured out you have AMT working in your LAN (AMT is provisioned and your vPro PC is responding to port 16992/16993 via browser or using any AMT enabled software, like Intel DTK); in order to be able to access your vPro PC from the Internet you have to NAT the ports related to AMT from your router to your vPro PC. You will have to NAT ports 16992/16993 and also 16994/16995 (for Serial Over LAN) depending whether you are using SMB or Enterprise provisioning.

Intel ISN used to have a very nice application named "switchbox" available in prior versions of Intel DTK (unfortunately it is no longer available) but this application used a very simple theory to make vPro PCs accessible from the Internet. Take a look to:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2007/06/12/solving-the-intel-amt-nat-problem-using-intel-amt-switchbox/

You can also take a look to this article: http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2007/v11i1/6-maintenance/4-usage.htm

You can review the links above and you will have a very clear understanding of the options you can implement in order to access your AMT enabled vPro PC from the Internet. It will be highly recommend for you to use Enterprise provisioning if you are going to be managing your vPro System from the Internet.

Regards!

MC

0 Kudos
Ajay_M_Intel
Employee
@sentinel80

Once you have figured out you have AMT working in your LAN (AMT is provisioned and your vPro PC is responding to port 16992/16993 via browser or using any AMT enabled software, like Intel DTK); in order to be able to access your vPro PC from the Internet you have to NAT the ports related to AMT from your router to your vPro PC. You will have to NAT ports 16992/16993 and also 16994/16995 (for Serial Over LAN) depending whether you are using SMB or Enterprise provisioning.

Intel ISN used to have a very nice application named "switchbox" available in prior versions of Intel DTK (unfortunately it is no longer available) but this application used a very simple theory to make vPro PCs accessible from the Internet. Take a look to:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2007/06/12/solving-the-intel-amt-nat-problem-using-intel-amt-switchbox/

You can also take a look to this article: http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2007/v11i1/6-maintenance/4-usage.htm

You can review the links above and you will have a very clear understanding of the options you can implement in order to access your AMT enabled vPro PC from the Internet. It will be highly recommend for you to use Enterprise provisioning if you are going to be managing your vPro System from the Internet.

Regards!

MC

Thanks Maria for sharing your experience. Appreciate it!
0 Kudos