Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

About file size of dll or lib

Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi all

I used tachyon_studio sample that have in Intel folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Parallel Studio 2011\Samples\en_US) and compare file size that built by Intel C++ Compiler and Visual C++ Complier.

File size of tachyon.common project that built by Intel C++Compiler: 21,728,118 bytes

File size of tachyon.common project that built by Visual C++ Complier: 3,046,742 bytes

Although program is still working correctly, but the size(built by Intel C++Compiler) is increased too much. Can anyone give me some explanations? Is this normal or abnormal?

I'm using Intel Parallel 2011 Update 1 and Visual Studio 2008.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Tuan,

Could you please let me know what format is the files that you have attached? Because it seems like its an executable? Please do let me know. Sorry for the delay.

Regards,

Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi Sukruth H V

The attached files contain the VC++ project file.

It is not an executable file.

Please use 7zip software, change tachyon_studio.001.7z to tachyon_studio.7z.001 and similar with other files before unzip.

Regards

Hanh

0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Hanh,

I have tried exactly as you mentioned and was not able to unzip those. Please see the attached screenshot for the error description. Why not send the complete project in a zipped file?

Regards,

Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi Sukruth H V,

Please change 000 to 001.

I can't send a complete project because I can't upload file size more than 200KB from company.

I'm sorry about inconvenience.

Regards,

Hanh

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>Please change 000 to 001. >> >>I can't send a complete project because I can't upload file size more than 200KB from company. On February 27th, 2013 you've uploaded a set of archives for the latest 7z utility. Sukruth is asking you to use classic zip utility which uses zip extension for archived files. There are some incompatibilities between archives zipped with classic zip ( can not read 7z archives ) and 7z utilities.
0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Hanh,

I have tried that and seems its not working on my side. I continued to get the same error that i had posted you before. Since you say that the upload capacity is just 200KB, I guess i have no option to suggest the way to upload these testcases.

Regards,

Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi Sukruth H V,

I resend zip file.

Please check it.

Regards,

Hanh

0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Hanh,

Thanks for your efforts in sending me the testcase. I had checked with 13.1 compiler and found that with IPO option the object files are created and much heavier (~25 MB) when compared to NON-IPO version which is (~2MB).

So with IPO there are 2 phases that are involved :-

Phase 1 :- Compile you application using /Qipo option, which would basically generate the MOCK object files which contains the Intermediate represenatation and also heavier. 

Phase 2 :- Now link your application with /Qipo option and now you should see an Optimized executable. Infact i see in your case that the *.obj files generated with /Qipo is bloated (increased) in your testcase also. So this is what desired/expected.

I would like to send source code that file size in case enable /Qipo is lower than file size in case disable /Qipo.

But you conveyed that /Qipo created obj's are smaller that the non-ipo one's right? I am not able to see that behaviour with your testcase.

I am building the "tachyon.common" project with Intel C/C++ compiler. Please do let me know if i am doing something wrong.

Regards,

Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi Sukruth H V,

I don't mean about object files, I mean about dll file.

In this case:

Build tachyon.common with option /Qipo, the size of tachyon.common.dll is about 167 KB.

Build tachyon.common without option /Qipo, the size of tachyon.common.dll is about 222 KB.

Regards,

Hanh

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>Build tachyon.common with option /Qipo, the size of tachyon.common.dll is about 167 KB. >> >>Build tachyon.common without option /Qipo, the size of tachyon.common.dll is about 222 KB. You've mentioned a long time ago that there are no any run-time issues and problems. Is there some another issue, not just the final sizes for binaries, that concerns you or creates a problem?
0 Kudos