Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Anyone able to use C++ 11.083 with Code:Blocks(8.02) on Ubuntu(8.10)?

lawcoperamail_com

Sorry if this is a bad spot to post this, but I'm exausted and in desparite need of some help.

I recently made the switch to Ubuntu(8.10) linux mostly to be able to use Intel C/C++. I believe my life would be

easier if I had used the OpenSuse distro, but there are traces of success with Intel C 11 on Ubuntu. It seems the install is not crazy about my Ubuntu, but I ignored the problems and continued on with the install. After the Install, my IDE of choice - Code:Blocks - needed some paths adjusted. My .bashrc and .profile files required the following additions:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/083/lib/ia32
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/083/bin/ia32

After piecing all that together code blocks could now invoke a working compiler. Then came the errors! I can't remember the exact error but it was catastrophic having something to do with language...or something. Anyway I googled the error message and found a fix. I added two more lines to .bashrc and .profile:

#export LANG=C
#export LC_ALL=C

After that I was able to compile and run the SDL template that comes with codeblocks. At this point I was

off to heaven on a golden charriot, finaly ready to begin developing Intel C. So the next step for me was to load

my current Code:Blocks workspace and begin the transition to Intel C. Much to my suprise my project would not load - It crashed the IDE! So I spent the morning on Code:Blocks forums, and they were shrugging their shoulder saying just undo the changes I made to get the intel compiler to work. If I do, my project loads, but I can't use the Intel compiler.

So, I'm here on my knees begging for some help. I just don't know where to go from here. I realize I suck at explaining stuff, so I'd be happy to clarify anything you want. I tried to keep this about as short as possible.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: The catastrophic error I couldn't remember was:

"Catastrophic error: could not set locale "" to allow processing of multibyte characters"

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aazue
New Contributor I

Sorry if this is a bad spot to post this, but I'm exausted and in desparite need of some help.

I recently made the switch to Ubuntu(8.10) linux mostly to be able to use Intel C/C++. I believe my life would be

easier if I had used the OpenSuse distro, but there are traces of success with Intel C 11 on Ubuntu. It seems the install is not crazy about my Ubuntu, but I ignored the problems and continued on with the install. After the Install, my IDE of choice - Code:Blocks - needed some paths adjusted. My .bashrc and .profile files required the following additions:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/083/lib/ia32
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/083/bin/ia32

After piecing all that together code blocks could now invoke a working compiler. Then came the errors! I can't remember the exact error but it was catastrophic having something to do with language...or something. Anyway I googled the error message and found a fix. I added two more lines to .bashrc and .profile:

#export LANG=C
#export LC_ALL=C

After that I was able to compile and run the SDL template that comes with codeblocks. At this point I was

off to heaven on a golden charriot, finaly ready to begin developing Intel C. So the next step for me was to load

my current Code:Blocks workspace and begin the transition to Intel C. Much to my suprise my project would not load - It crashed the IDE! So I spent the morning on Code:Blocks forums, and they were shrugging their shoulder saying just undo the changes I made to get the intel compiler to work. If I do, my project loads, but I can't use the Intel compiler.

So, I'm here on my knees begging for some help. I just don't know where to go from here. I realize I suck at explaining stuff, so I'd be happy to clarify anything you want. I tried to keep this about as short as possible.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: The catastrophic error I couldn't remember was:

"Catastrophic error: could not set locale "" to allow processing of multibyte characters"

Hi
Icc working perfectly Ubuntu 8.10 is not trace is reality.
test command (locale) at your shell to see your encoding.

Do not use hidden file (.profile) for informing encoding...
only
LANG=C
export LANG
Ubuntu, Suse, Debian ,slackware ,Rh and other (32 and 64) are just packages
Linux Kernel and several utility are exactly or almost same ...(only if you have to use module for coff format,kernel Suse have good parameters)
Do not confusing parameter configuration (workspace code block) and relation compiler ICC with Linux
If you have true in shell command compiler,is compiler is working
Better to call solution problem in side (code block).
I have make test compile 400 programs in Unbutu (icc)
without problem.
You can also use an utility lsof or similary for observing where problem in your IDE.
Best regards.

0 Kudos
lawcoperamail_com

Whew! I got it. Code::Blocks does not like having "LANG=C & LC_ALL=C" set in .profile. The trick is to set them via Settings->Environment->Environment Variables->"Setup (toggle) environment variables" . Now I just need to get the debugger working!!!

0 Kudos