cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ASmal1
Beginner

Bricked stick after Windows 10 Update.

Jump to solution

Just bought the Compute Stick on October 31st. The Windows Update bricked the device. Tried a reset, did not work. Cannot open a ISO image of Windows 10 on the SD card to reinstall....not sure where to go from here. Intel Technical Support unresponsive so far...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stressed99
Novice

you are not alone, we are all having the same problems, and nothing from Intel how to fix, got mine 30th Oct, so know how your feel

View solution in original post

31 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello All:

We are currently working on a fix for this situation with Microsoft, as soon as it is fixed a new update would be released.

Right now the workaround from our end would be to replace the unit. If the troubleshooting previously provided is not working.

If you encountered with this issue after installing Windows updates please contact Intel Customer Support and provide with an explanation of the situation in order to get the replacement for your unit.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support

Regards,

Esteban C

RAgan
Beginner

This is absurd. My first ComputeStick running Windows 8.1 the eMMC storage stopped working and was replaced. I had to pay out of pocket to ship the device.

Then it "auto upgrades" to the newest build and it bricks the new device which I literally just got a few days ago.

Now your saying I have to return the unit again so I don't void the warranty by fresh installing windows (which according to other forum pages here doesn't work)? How is this not absurd? Intel please stand by your devices and work to resolve the issue.

This is absolutely poor and once the windows update was installed recovery options no longer work.

While I get that it is a Windows issue, if this is not being treated like a Sev 1 issue by Intel to Microsoft, then you are hanging all your users out to dry. This is just as much Intel's problem as it is Microsoft as your product no longer works with a valid (and pushed) update from Microsoft.

My compute stick is now useless until there is a workable solution.

Horrible Intel, just awful. Your post was written on 11/18 it's now 11/30 and no resolution.

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello:

We are currently working on this situation, a fix will be released with future updates.

Please refer to the following thread related to this situation:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-last-known-good-configuration# 1TC=windows-7 Using Last Known Good Configuration - Windows Help

Regards,

Esteban C

TSand7
New Contributor I

EsatbanC_Intel

You say a fix will be released with future updates but updates are only going to work if ICS can run in windows. My PC can no longer boot into windows, nor can it be reset. What can we do in this case? I have contacted Intel and created Case but receive no reply!

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello TerrySanderson :

Thank you for advising me about this situation.

If you already created a case for this situation, my recommendation would be to contact Intel Customer Support via phone, which would be a quick way to know the status of your case.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support

Select Region>Select Intel® Compute Stick> hit submit and phone support

We do have support for different GEOs, make sure you select your region properly so you can be directed to the correct queue.

Regards,

Esteban C

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

Unfortunately, Microsoft would not allow a Windows 8.1 with Bing image to be given out as it was an OEM release only. Windows 10 Home that comes on the later ICS is the same as the version in the retail package. You can download an ISO from Microsoft and use it to create a USB flash drive to install a clean copy of Windows 10. You just need to download the drivers from Intel's download site.

The nice thing about doing a clean install is you recover about 5GB of space that was being used by the restore partition from Windows 8.1. Of course, make sure the ICS has been activated with Windows 10 before doing a clean install.

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello MrMitch:

Regarding the warranty policy for the Intel® Compute Stick I would like you to check this information:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-035451.htm Intel® Compute Stick — Warranty Information

Please refer to bullet 5 and 6 under "WHAT THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:"

Regards,

Esteban C

PBerr
Beginner

I requested an RTM and my replacement comes tomorrow. Restored my faith in Intels support Service

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Chefbyte:

I am glad to hear that you were able to get a replacement for your Intel® Compute Stick.

Regards,

Esteban C

TWilk3
Beginner

I have also experienced this issue, and quite frankly, I feel like I wasted my money buying the Intel Compute Stick. The first one I had trouble with on the 2nd day of ownership, when it failed to even boot Windows 8.1 as supplied. I contacted Intel and went through the steps sending it back to get a replacement. I received the replacement, and that was working fine, upgraded to Windows 10 and it was being used for media playback duties - netflix and playback from my plex media server, as well as some youtube playback.

Then, just before christmas, it downloaded and installed the latest updates automatically.

After that, it would freeze only a few seconds after reaching the Windows 10 desktop. It seemed to work ok in safe mode, but was absolutely useless for it's intended use, and I didn't have time to play around with it and try to find out what was going on. So I tried using the media creation tool from microsoft to download and create the Windows 10 install on a USB stick, and tried to use that to repair the install. That didn't help at all, so I decided to just do a fresh install, in the hope that it would get it back up and running in the least time. I left it doing a clean install overnight, and in the morning woke to find it had frozen during the 2nd step of installation. So I started it again, and this time it froze at 10% of the first step.

So, now it seems I have to go through the process of getting the stupid thing replaced yet again. To say I am not impressed is a huge understatement! I don't care who's fault it is, microsofts or intels, this is just not good enough. I've gone back to using the chromecast, which the ICS was purchased to replace, and I was very quickly reminded why I had purchased the ICS to replace it.

So I have had a good look around, in the hope of finding a solution, and instead I see I'm not alone. And yes, it has the latest BIOS update installed, and YES I removed the microSD-card. And yes, there was extra room - I had a 4 port USB hub plugged in, which had a wired keyboard plugged in (for trouble shooting), a K400r receiver and a 16GB USB memory stick.

Intel, this is simply not good enough and while I had been telling people that the ICS was good and suitable to purchase, I will be now telling people to avoid it - at least until this issue is resolved.

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello:

I am sorry to hear that your experience with the Intel® Compute Stick has not being the expected.

I would like to know if you have checked these articles related to the update issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-last-known-good-configuration# 1TC=windows-7 Using Last Known Good Configuration - Windows Help

Regards,

Esteban C