Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1655 Discussions

Formatting corruption after resizing terminal window when connected to interactive jobs.

User01
New Contributor II

When I connect to the Intel DevCloud login node ("login-2") via SSH, I can resize my local terminal window and the remote content automatically resizes to the size of the terminal. This works for with GNU Bash and GNU Emacs running on login-2.

When I create and join an interactive job on a compute node using the qsub -I command, the content renders correctly to the terminal. However, if I resize the terminal while connected to the interactive job, the output is corrupted and no longer renders to the size of the terminal.

I attempted to work-around the problem by running the version of tmux provided as a module on the compute node. However, tmux is also unable to correctly render to resized terminal windows.

Are there any best practices for working on interactive jobs via SSH that support resizing the terminal after starting the job?

Test client system:

Microsoft Windows Terminal Version 1.18.2822.0
OpenSSH_for_Windows_9.2p1, LibreSSL 3.7.2

Test applications on DevCloud:

bash
emacs
tmux

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DiyaN_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Did you observe the similar behavior only when you connect to the DevCloud or you see the same issue while working outside of the DevCloud?

Can you please provide the error screenshots to help us investigate further?

Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos
User01
New Contributor II

I see this behavior only with DevCloud. I have attached two screenshots. One shows the rendering after expanding the terminal window vertically, the other shows the rendering after a horizonal and vertical resize.

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi ,

We are working on this internally and get back to you with an update soon.

Regards,

Diya

DiyaN_Intel

Hi,

We tried reproducing the issue from our side and was able to observe a similar behaviour.

We found out that the window buffer gets corrupted when we resize the window while connected to compute node.

To fix this issue, after resizing the windows, clicking Ctrl+L will refresh the buffer to reflect the new window size.

If this resolves your issue, kindly mark it as a solution as this would help others with a similar issue.

Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos
User01
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, CTRL+L does not resolve the issue. I found that it would redraw the screen but the reflow did not persist. I tested with GNU Emacs from the Ubuntu distribution on the compute nodes as well as GNU Emacs from the module on DevCloud. However, the issue does not appear to be specific to Emacs. Other tests can include using the output of `ls` either wide or long to see that it does not render in the resized terminal as it should.

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

Thanks for reporting this issue specific to compute nodes.

Our development team has informed that the issue has be raised as a feature request and will be fixed shortly in the upcoming releases but we don't have any ETA on when the fix will be implemented.

Can you please confirm whether can we go forward and close this thread?

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

If this resolves your issue, kindly mark it as a solution as this would help others with a similar issue.

Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos
User01
New Contributor II

Thanks for the attention to the issue and the work to reproduce it.

Given that the issue is not resolved, it would be useful to continue to allow other users to post to this thread in case they have any workarounds or fixes. It is easier to keep notifications enabled by thread than to discover relevant future content in new threads.

I understand that Intel does not need to monitor this thread, but allowing other users to post in the future would be useful.

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi, 

Since our development team is already working on this, Intel will no longer monitor this thread. 

All interactions in this thread will be community only.

If you need any assistance while using Intel products or services kindly post a new question.

Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos