Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.
424 Discussions

failed to install Theano under Anaconda + Intel distribution for Python (win8)

Mikhail_M_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone.

I want to use Theano (actually Keras which lies on top of Theano) for the purposes of building classification / segmentation stuff. I work under windows8, and use Anaconda + Spyder (as an ide)

I decided to check whether Intel Distribution for Python may increase speed and other bottle-necks during work with Theano. So, as its suggested, I created separated environment for Intel distribution for Python using conda. I followed guidelines provided here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-distribution-for-python-with-anaconda

So far so good; but once you try to install Theano, conda says that Theano is missing in current win-64 channels.

Looks very strange. I would appreciate any concrete recommendations how to make all this stuff to be friends.

By the way, it was said recently that Intel made MKL and DAAL and other high-performance calculations / mathematical stuff very nicely integrated with Theano and Caffe....

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Hi Mikhail,

I think you started a similar thread and I provided the same answer. However, in case you are not the same Mikhail, I will provide the info here, too.

Intel includes theano 1.0 in the recent Intel® Distribution for Python 2017 Update 2. You can check the details about the theano version and all the included and updated packages in the Release Notes PDF here: https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/ec/c7/Intel_Distribution_Python2017U2_Release_Notes.pdf

In case you are subscribed to this thread, you will receive an e-mail. :)

0 Kudos
Robert_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Mikhail,

Intel Python provides theano and caffe with intel optimizations, but currently it is only for linux. We want to expand to mac and windows, but don't have a definite date yet.

Robert

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Hi Mikhail,

For some weird reason, I was convinced you mentioned you were working on Ubuntu... However, you were working on Windows 8... Sorry for the confusion. Robert provided you the right info.

0 Kudos