Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6404 Discussions

Error when running setup.sh for MvNC Toolkit

idata
Employee

I'm installing the MvNC Toolkit based on the instructions on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 system.

Running into an issue in line 98 of the setup.sh for the Toolkit:

Command "/usr/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;file='/tmp/pip-build-n0544u13/scipy/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(file);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, file, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-e3jxp_qk-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-n0544u13/scipy/

[0;31mInstallation failed. Error on line 98[0m

Any hints how to resolve this are welcome.

take care

Ingo
0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

I have the same issue, new install of 16.04 under VMware fusion on macbook pro / Sierra. Python 2 and 3 are installed on the ubuntu machine, could this be the problem?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am running into multiple issues during the installation as well.

using VM hosted Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS AMD64.

ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and then followed the instructions in the getting started document.

executing: ./setup.sh

****First error: scipy ****

Running setup.py install for scipy: finished with status 'error'

Complete output from command /usr/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;file='/tmp/pip-build-4rc59_ee/scipy/setup.py';exec(compile(getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(file).read().replace('\r\n', '\n'), file, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-0tv4ag78-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile:

Workaround to get past this issue:

I modified the requirements.txt to ignore scipy (installed it manually instead).

Second error: caffe compilation

[100%] Building CXX object python/CMakeFiles/pycaffe.dir/caffe/_caffe.cpp.o

c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)

Please submit a full bug report,

with preprocessed source if appropriate.

See for instructions.

python/CMakeFiles/pycaffe.dir/build.make:62: recipe for target 'python/CMakeFiles/pycaffe.dir/caffe/_caffe.cpp.o' failed

make[2]: *** [python/CMakeFiles/pycaffe.dir/caffe/_caffe.cpp.o] Error 4

CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1117: recipe for target 'python/CMakeFiles/pycaffe.dir/all' failed

make[1]: *** [python/CMakeFiles/pycaffe.dir/all] Error 2

Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed

make: *** [all] Error 2

No workaround found.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@TomS @Jsweatte @Sigmundi Regarding virtual machines, please refer to georgievm_cms 's reply in forum post https://ncsforum.movidius.com/discussion/comment/197/#Comment_197

The NCS is designed to work on Ubuntu 16.04 natively. This forum post can also provide more information: https://ncsforum.movidius.com/discussion/123/ncs-sdk-virtual-machine-support#latest

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Will do, Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I will find a way to get s dedicated machine but I would comment that there is nothing I see in the links that specifically indicates that the error I am getting has anything to do with the install being done on a virtual machine.

Thanks for the quick response
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi There,

I also failed to at the setup.sh script. I'm also using ubuntu 16.04

[ 4%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libcaffe.so

[ 75%] Built target caffe

[ 76%] Linking CXX executable train_net

//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunwind.so.8: undefined reference to lzma_index_end@XZ_5.0' //usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunwind.so.8: undefined reference tolzma_index_size@XZ_5.0'

//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunwind.so.8: undefined reference to lzma_index_buffer_decode@XZ_5.0' //usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunwind.so.8: undefined reference tolzma_stream_footer_decode@XZ_5.0'

//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunwind.so.8: undefined reference to lzma_stream_buffer_decode@XZ_5.0' //usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunwind.so.8: undefined reference tolzma_index_uncompressed_size@XZ_5.0'

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

tools/CMakeFiles/train_net.dir/build.make:127: recipe for target 'tools/train_net' failed

make[2]: *** [tools/train_net] Error 1

CMakeFiles/Makefile2:467: recipe for target 'tools/CMakeFiles/train_net.dir/all' failed

make[1]: *** [tools/CMakeFiles/train_net.dir/all] Error 2

Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed

make: *** [all] Error 2

Installation failed. Error on line 129

I'm not sure what is the problem…anyone can help?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Tome_at_Intel thank you for the reply. The post suggests that it is not a good idea to run the compute stick from a VM due to instabilities/uncertainties regarding performance, however it does not suggest that installing is an issue. I don't see any indications to HW or certain driver dependencies that python packages as well as caffe wouldn't work properly in a virtualized environment.

0 Kudos