cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blasutig__Robert
Beginner

Failing to open RTSP camera

Jump to solution

Is it possible to use an RTSP camera with OpenCV included with OpenVINO R3?  In Python I'm using this:

cam = cv2.VideoCapture("rtsp://user:pass@192.168.1.10/rtsph264480p")

... which will fail to open.  On the other hand:

cam = cv2.VideoCapture(0)

...will succeed, using my laptop's built in webcam.

This failure to connect also occurs when using an example such as crossroad_camera_sample and specifying the RTSP device using the '-i' option.  The output looks as follows:

InferenceEngine:
        API version ............ 1.2
        Build .................. 13911
[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters
[ INFO ] Reading input
[ INFO:0] VIDEOIO: Enabled backends(6, sorted by priority): FFMPEG(1000); MSMF(990); DSHOW(980); VFW(970); CV_IMAGES(960); CV_MJPEG(950)
[ ERROR ] Cannot open input file or camera: rtsp://user:pass@192.168.1.10/rtsph264480p

I have also confirmed that when NOT using OpenCV included with OpenVINO, that accessing the RTSP camera with my default OpenCV (3.3) is just fine.

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Maksim_S_Intel
Employee

Did you download the FFmpeg library wrapper to OpenVINO? You can find a PowerShell script in the opencv directory.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Severine_H_Intel
Employee

Dear Robert, 

OpenVINO is working with RTSP stream, could you try only with rtsp://user:pass@192.168.1.10/ ? The rest of the address indicate some video format, I think it might be the cause of the issue. 

Best, 

Severine

Maksim_S_Intel
Employee

Did you download the FFmpeg library wrapper to OpenVINO? You can find a PowerShell script in the opencv directory.

View solution in original post

Blasutig__Robert
Beginner

Running the PowerShell script to get the FFmpeg wrapper is the solution!  I've confirmed by uninstalling/installing OpenVINO and breaking it again, and to confirm that the script solves the issue.  

Much appreciated.