Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Gstreamer cannot open file

jobdulo
New Contributor I

I am trying to add a video file to my config.json for inferencing but I get the following errors;

OpenCV | GStreamer warning: Embedded video playback halted; module source reported: Could not open file...
OpenCV | GStreamer warning: unable to start pipeline
OpenCV | GStreamer warning: GStreamer: pipeline have not been created

I have tried following the temporary solution at https://github.com/boltgolt/howdy/issues/241

but exporting the variable in my terminal makes the program hang.

I am trying to add my own data in the setup at https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/smart-retail-analytics#setup

How can I solve this error?

I am using OpenVINO toolkit 2020.3.341 on WSL2 Ubuntu 18.04LTS

Python 3.6.9

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Adli

Hi jobdulo,

Thank you for reaching out to us. A quick check, what is your video file format? Did you encounter this issue when you are using camera input?

Regards,

Adli

0 Kudos
jobdulo
New Contributor I

I am using a .mp4 video file for input.

I tried using my camera for input but got the following error:

[ WARN:0] global ../opencv/modules/videoio/src/cap_v4l.cpp (893) open VIDEOIO(V4L2:/dev/video0): can't open camera by index

What I have tried;

So I decided to fork the repo and uploaded my videos this way they get downloaded when running setup.sh file. This resulted in another error;

[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7f50e8218cc0] moov atom not found
[ WARN:0] global ../opencv/modules/videoio/src/cap_gstreamer.cpp (1759) handleMessage OpenCV | GStreamer warning: Embedded video playback halted; module decodebin0 reported: This appears to be a text file
[ WARN:0] global ../opencv/modules/videoio/src/cap_gstreamer.cpp (888) open OpenCV | GStreamer warning: unable to start pipeline
[ WARN:0] global ../opencv/modules/videoio/src/cap_gstreamer.cpp (480) isPipelinePlaying OpenCV | GStreamer warning: GStreamer: pipeline have not been created
0 Kudos
jobdulo
New Contributor I

Also, is there a way videos or cameras should be prepared before using them as inputs?

0 Kudos
Adli

Hi jobdulo,

I think there is no 'input preparation steps' method for this case. Anyway, we are investigating this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Adli

0 Kudos
jobdulo
New Contributor I

Thank you. I will be on the lookout for any updates.

0 Kudos
Maksim_S_Intel
Employee
  • Please make sure corresponding GStreamer plugins are installed (gstreamer1.0-plugins-good, gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad, gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly):
    apt list -i | grep gstreamer
  • Try to install ffmpeg:
    apt install ffmpeg
  • AFAIK USB is not supported in WSL, so cameras won't work in this environment.
0 Kudos
jobdulo
New Contributor I

After feeling like I am doing a lot of plastering in WSL I installed the Ubuntu OS.  Ran the application again. The GStreamer error went away.

The other thing I have learned during debugging this problem is that feeding the application a video input with audio will bring problems. Best to remove audio from own video recordings before using as input.

I would have loved it if the owners of the repo would have been more responsive. I realized the application puts an orange overlay on the live stream of any input video, and it's a mystery.

All in all, I am grateful for the help you guys have provided here. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi Job,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos