Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

How to make OpenVINO rely on Python of one conda environment

Alves_Tasca__Arthur

I would like to know if it is possible to install OpenVINO in such a way that it relies on the Python installed on a specific Conda Environment, instead of the native Python of my machine (the one I executed when I run sudo python3). I am running on a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

When I do the standard installation of OpenVINO, for me to use the Model Optimiser I need to rely on the native python3 installation (since I always have to use sudo for running it), which is not necessarily using the same package versions as I have in the conda environment (e.g. using TensorFlow version 1.14 in one and 2.0 in the other).

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Luis_at_Intel

Hi Alves Tasca, Arthur,

Thanks for reaching out. If I understood correctly I believe it is possible to install OpenVINO in your conda environment and use the Model Optimizer with the package version found in your conda environment. The only thing I believe you should do differently, would be the installation of OpenVINO as non-root in your conda environment (i.e. install omitting sudo and install in user-space directory, for example /home/your-username/). 

One thing I realized was that my conda environment didn't pick up protobuf for some reason, so I had to install with conda install -c anaconda protobuf=3.6.1. After this I was able to use the Model Optimizer and python (/home/your-user/anaconda3/bin/python3) without having to specify sudo, using python. Let me know if this helps and/or if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Luis 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Luis_at_Intel

Hi Alves Tasca, Arthur,

Thanks for reaching out. If I understood correctly I believe it is possible to install OpenVINO in your conda environment and use the Model Optimizer with the package version found in your conda environment. The only thing I believe you should do differently, would be the installation of OpenVINO as non-root in your conda environment (i.e. install omitting sudo and install in user-space directory, for example /home/your-username/). 

One thing I realized was that my conda environment didn't pick up protobuf for some reason, so I had to install with conda install -c anaconda protobuf=3.6.1. After this I was able to use the Model Optimizer and python (/home/your-user/anaconda3/bin/python3) without having to specify sudo, using python. Let me know if this helps and/or if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Luis 

0 Kudos
H__Christian
Beginner

Hello Luis! I am trying to do exactly this, installing OpenVino on a venv with Anaconda. I have CMake and Python3.7 installed and during installation it passes the prerequistes, properly sets the environment variable and installs the Model Orpimizer prerequistes. However when running the verification script it warns me about Python 2.7 being deprecated although “which python3” Echos the path to the Anaconda bin. During the verification script it eventually gives me a Permission Denied error because it is looking for PyYaml in the Py2.7 folder (which I of course not want). I hope you can help me with this since I would like to get started with projects since I am currently enrolled in Intel and Udacity’s Nanodegree program. 

0 Kudos