Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6408 Discussions

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'mvnc'

idata
Employee

Hello, I recently received the NCS, I installed it on Ubuntu 16.04LTS and Raspberry Pi 3B Stretch

For the Ubuntu 16.04 example build, I got the following error when compiling GoogleNet, I disabled virtual environment in this example, but I get the same error with the virtual environment:

GoogLeNet$ make compile making prereqs (cd ../../data/ilsvrc12; make) make[1]: Entering directory '/arch_lnx/aws/arch/install/mvdus/ncsdk/examples/data/ilsvrc12' make[1]: Leaving directory '/arch_lnx/aws/arch/install/mvdus/ncsdk/examples/data/ilsvrc12' making prototxt Prototxt file already exists making caffemodel caffemodel file already exists making compile mvNCCompile -w bvlc_googlenet.caffemodel -s 12 deploy.prototxt Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCCompile", line 25, in <module> from Models.Blob import * File "/usr/local/bin/ncsdk/Models/Blob.py", line 19, in <module> from Controllers.MiscIO import * File "/usr/local/bin/ncsdk/Controllers/MiscIO.py", line 34, in <module> from mvnc import mvncapi ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'mvnc' Makefile:80: recipe for target 'compile' failed make: *** [compile] Error 1

I checked my path to make sure movidius is included and it is

GoogLeNet$ echo $PYTHONPATH /usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/::/opt/movidius/caffe/python:/opt/movidius/caffe/python:/opt/movidius/mvnc/python

Then I tried this on the Raspberry Pi 3B-Stretch

This time it works when virtual environment is not used but I got the mvnc not found error with the virtual environment.

Without virtual environment the graph builds:

(cv3.3_py3.5) pi@pi3:~/aws/arch/install_pi/ncsdk/examples/caffe/GoogLeNet$ deactivate pi@pi3:~/aws/arch/install_pi/ncsdk/examples/caffe/GoogLeNet$ make compile making prereqs (cd ../../data/ilsvrc12; make) make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/aws/arch/install_pi/ncsdk/examples/data/ilsvrc12' make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/aws/arch/install_pi/ncsdk/examples/data/ilsvrc12' making prototxt Prototxt file already exists making caffemodel caffemodel file already exists making compile mvNCCompile -w bvlc_googlenet.caffemodel -s 12 deploy.prototxt mvNCCompile v02.00, Copyright @ Movidius Ltd 2016 Layer inception_3b/1x1 forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_3b/pool_proj forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_4a/1x1 forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_4a/pool_proj forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_4b/1x1 forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_4b/pool_proj forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_4c/1x1 forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_4c/pool_proj forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_4d/1x1 forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_4d/pool_proj forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_4e/1x1 forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_4e/pool_proj forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_5a/1x1 forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_5a/pool_proj forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_5b/1x1 forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat Layer inception_5b/pool_proj forced to im2col_v2, because its output is used in concat

The python path for the working example is:

pi@pi3:~/aws/arch/install_pi/ncsdk/examples/caffe/GoogLeNet$ echo $PYTHONPATH :/opt/movidius/caffe/python:/opt/movidius/mvnc/python:/opt/movidius/caffe/python:/opt/movidius/mvnc/python:/opt/movidius/caffe/python:/opt/movidius/mvnc/python

With the virtual environment the example can't find the mvnc:

(cv3.3_py3.5) pi@pi3:~/aws/arch/install_pi/ncsdk/examples/caffe/GoogLeNet$ make compile making prereqs (cd ../../data/ilsvrc12; make) make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/aws/arch/install_pi/ncsdk/examples/data/ilsvrc12' make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/aws/arch/install_pi/ncsdk/examples/data/ilsvrc12' making prototxt Prototxt file already exists making caffemodel caffemodel file already exists making compile mvNCCompile -w bvlc_googlenet.caffemodel -s 12 deploy.prototxt Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCCompile", line 25, in <module> from Models.Blob import * File "/usr/local/bin/ncsdk/Models/Blob.py", line 19, in <module> from Controllers.MiscIO import * File "/usr/local/bin/ncsdk/Controllers/MiscIO.py", line 34, in <module> from mvnc import mvncapi ImportError: No module named 'mvnc' Makefile:80: recipe for target 'compile' failed make: *** [compile] Error 1

Path is also set correctly here:

(cv3.3_py3.5) pi@pi3:~/aws/arch/install_pi/ncsdk/examples/caffe/GoogLeNet$ echo $PYTHONPATH :/opt/movidius/caffe/python:/opt/movidius/mvnc/python:/opt/movidius/caffe/python:/opt/movidius/mvnc/python:/opt/movidius/caffe/python:/opt/movidius/mvnc/python:/opt/movidius/caffe/python:/opt/movidius/mvnc/python

My questions are:

• Is there an extra step to setup the .so for mvnc when I set up a virtual environment?
  •  

• For the ubuntu example, why mvnc cannot be found even when the path is set?
  •  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

I believe I solve the can't find mvnc for virtual environment issue, but there is still something wrong

for the virtual environment additional link to mvnc should be added as follows:

cd /home/pi/.virtualenvs/cv3.3_py3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages ln -s /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/mvnc . ln -s /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/graphviz . pip3 install protobuf pyyaml

now the "can't find mvnc module" error goes away.

but I'm still getting the following error,

(cv3.3_py3.5) pi@pi3:~/aws/arch/install/mvdus/ncsdk/examples/caffe/GoogLeNet$ make compile making prereqs (cd ../../data/ilsvrc12; make) make[1]: Entering directory '/media/pi/PEGASUS/pi3/aws/arch/install/mvdus/ncsdk/examples/data/ilsvrc12' make[1]: Leaving directory '/media/pi/PEGASUS/pi3/aws/arch/install/mvdus/ncsdk/examples/data/ilsvrc12' making prototxt Prototxt file already exists making caffemodel caffemodel file already exists making compile mvNCCompile -w bvlc_googlenet.caffemodel -s 12 deploy.prototxt mvNCCompile v02.00, Copyright @ Movidius Ltd 2016 Caffe Import Error

what's a good way of debugging "mvNCCompile"?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@jfshi, regarding virtual machine setup - please refer our virtual machine installation guide @ https://movidius.github.io/ncsdk/VirtualMachineConfig.html

The Caffe Import Error is usually because of PYTHONPATH issues, please refer the following posts for pointers on this issue.

mvNCCompile source code is available @ /opt/movidius/NCSDK/ncsdk-x86_64/tk and /opt/movidius/NCSDK/ncsdk-armv71/tk, you can use that to further debug mvNCCompile if you choose to do so.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@AshwinVijayakumar The OP said about virtualenv not virtual machine. And I'm having same issue as the OP, difficulty of using NCS from virtualenv / pyenv

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Further investigation shows problem with the previous make compile, similar to https://ncsforum.movidius.com/discussion/323/caffe-import-error-with-fresh-installed-sdk-help-ncsdk-1-09-00-04-x86-64-ubuntu-16-04#latest but caused by protobuf

[ 76%] Linking CXX executable upgrade_solver_proto_text ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::Message::DebugString[abi:cxx11]() const' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::MessageFactory::InternalRegisterGeneratedFile(char const*, void (*)(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&))' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::WireFormatLite::WriteStringMaybeAliased(int, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, google::protobuf::io::CodedOutputStream*)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::WireFormatLite::ReadBytes(google::protobuf::io::CodedInputStream*, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >*)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::MessageLite::ParseFromString(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::Message::GetTypeName[abi:cxx11]() const' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::io::CodedOutputStream::WriteStringWithSizeToArray(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned char*)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::fixed_address_empty_string[abi:cxx11]' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::Message::InitializationErrorString[abi:cxx11]() const' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::NameOfEnum[abi:cxx11](google::protobuf::EnumDescriptor const*, int)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::WireFormatLite::WriteBytesMaybeAliased(int, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, google::protobuf::io::CodedOutputStream*)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::AssignDescriptors(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, google::protobuf::internal::MigrationSchema const*, google::protobuf::Message const* const*, unsigned int const*, google::protobuf::MessageFactory*, google::protobuf::Metadata*, google::protobuf::EnumDescriptor const**, google::protobuf::ServiceDescriptor const**)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::WireFormatLite::WriteString(int, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, google::protobuf::io::CodedOutputStream*)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::ArenaStringPtr::AssignWithDefault(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const*, google::protobuf::internal::ArenaStringPtr)' collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status tools/CMakeFiles/upgrade_solver_proto_text.dir/build.make:131: recipe for target 'tools/upgrade_solver_proto_text' failed make[3]: *** [tools/upgrade_solver_proto_text] Error 1 ... [ 76%] Linking CXX executable upgrade_solver_proto_text ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::Message::DebugString[abi:cxx11]() const' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::MessageFactory::InternalRegisterGeneratedFile(char const*, void (*)(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&))' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::WireFormatLite::WriteStringMaybeAliased(int, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, google::protobuf::io::CodedOutputStream*)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::WireFormatLite::ReadBytes(google::protobuf::io::CodedInputStream*, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >*)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::MessageLite::ParseFromString(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::Message::GetTypeName[abi:cxx11]() const' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::io::CodedOutputStream::WriteStringWithSizeToArray(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned char*)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::fixed_address_empty_string[abi:cxx11]' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::Message::InitializationErrorString[abi:cxx11]() const' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::NameOfEnum[abi:cxx11](google::protobuf::EnumDescriptor const*, int)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::WireFormatLite::WriteBytesMaybeAliased(int, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, google::protobuf::io::CodedOutputStream*)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::AssignDescriptors(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, google::protobuf::internal::MigrationSchema const*, google::protobuf::Message const* const*, unsigned int const*, google::protobuf::MessageFactory*, google::protobuf::Metadata*, google::protobuf::EnumDescriptor const**, google::protobuf::ServiceDescriptor const**)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::WireFormatLite::WriteString(int, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, google::protobuf::io::CodedOutputStream*)' ../lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0: undefined reference to `google::protobuf::internal::ArenaStringPtr::AssignWithDefault(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const*, google::protobuf::internal::ArenaStringPtr)' collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status tools/CMakeFiles/upgrade_solver_proto_text.dir/build.make:131: recipe for target 'tools/upgrade_solver_proto_text' failed

because the make process moves past the error, the compile error was missed. A suggestion is to provide the last message in the make output to let the user know if there are errors or not.

I tried rebuilding protobuf https://github.com/google/protobuf/blob/master/src/README.md

but this didn't work

my gcc version is gcc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) 5.4.0 20160609

found some similar problem posts online but no good solutions.

Anyone has a solution to this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@AshwinVijayakumar

I got the errors when running the commands just like "python image-classifier.py" in /ncappzoo/apps/image-classifier

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "image-classifier.py", line 10, in

import mvnc.mvncapi as mvnc

ImportError: No module named mvnc.mvncapi

And I've checked the PYTHONPATH : /opt/movidius/caffe/python:/opt/movidius/mvnc/python::/opt/movidius/caffe/python

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I wish I could offer help, but for now I'm just going to chime in with confirmation that I saw the same issue. For what it's worth to the folks at Intel who are following this, I ran into these same errors when attempting to use the Virtualenv setup. The configuration created by the NCSDK installer is very broken. I noticed it did not edit the PYTHONPATH in _.bashrc_. It cannot find Caffe while in the Virtualenv. The more I fought to try to provide the Virtualenv with a path to the broken imports, the more broken imports it would uncover.

When I attempted the Virtualenv install I was using Ubilinux on a new Up Board. I got so fed up with the process that I replaced Ubilinux with Ubuntu 16.04 (completely fresh install) and re-installed the NCSDK directly (_not_ using Virtualenv!). The PYTHONPATH was edited properly in _.bashrc_ and the broken import chains went away. I can't say what effect Ubilinux/Ubuntu had on the errors I was seeing but I personally suspect a broken Virtualenv configuration was the culprit.

Folks at Intel, this was the first of two major breaks in your installation that I have found so far (see https://ncsforum.movidius.com/discussion/876/mvnccompile-fails-illegal-instruction).

• Matt
  •  

0 Kudos