Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

NCSDK on Linux Mint?

idata
Employee

I'm trying to install the SDK on a Linux Mint system (v 18.2, kernel v 4.10) and an AMD 1950X CPU. I'm getting the error message:

Your current combination of linux distribution and distribution version is not officially supported!

Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, is there any way I can bypass this check and try to install anyway?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

I've got the same issue :neutral:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Av8or1ab, @etc_26, as mentioned in the "technical Specifications" section of https://developer.movidius.com/, NCSDK installation scripts support only x86_64 running Ubuntu 16.04 and RPI3 Model B running Stretch.

That being said, you can definitely run NCSDK on other platforms/OS as long as you install the dependencies yourself. This article is a good reference since it compiles and installs NCSDK's API framework from source - https://movidius.github.io/blog/ncs-apps-on-rpi/. Although the article uses RPI as a platform, you can reproduce the steps on any Linux machine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@AshwinVijayakumar

I followed the tutorial on the blog and every thing worked just fine installed on linux mint :)

Thanks

EDIT:

The hello_ncs example works but when trying to run another example from ncappzoo for example stream_infer i get the following error

make[1]: mvNCCompile: Command not found
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@GoldenWings, I see that all of the instructions ran without any issues, including ldconfig which is needed to make the necessary links and cache libmvnc.so. Just as a sanity check, can you reboot your system and try again? Also try running make and make run in hello_ncs_cpp, just to rule out issues with python bindings.

I presume you are using running Cinnamon (64-bit) on x86_64? Will try to prep a mint system over the holidays and test the installation. Please let us know if figure out the issue before that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@AshwinVijayakumar i restarted my pc and i run make and make run and it worked succesfuly

It seems that mvNCCompile, mvNCProfile and mvNCCheck has not been installed for some reason..

Yes i am running 64 bit Cinnamon .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@GoldenWings, glad it worked - I don't have to go dumpster diving for my old laptop anymore :P.

It seems that mvNCCompile, mvNCProfile and mvNCCheck has not been installed for some reason

Yes, that's expected because the instructions are to install NCSDK in API-only mode.

Excerpt from https://movidius.github.io/blog/ncs-apps-on-rpi/

The API-only mode allows you to develop apps on the Pi even though the toolkit is not installed. The limitation with this mode is the inability to profile, check/validate and compile neural networks into binary graph files.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

and how can we install the toolkit on anything but Ubuntu 16?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Installed requirements on Mint 18.2.

XPS-13-9350 ncsdk-1.10.01.01 # ./install.sh

Blah, blah…

Movidius Neural Compute Toolkit Setup.

Checking OS and version…

Your current combination of linux distribution and distribution version is not officially supported!

Seems so close!

XPS-13-9350 hello_ncs_py # python3 hello_ncs.py

Hello NCS! Device opened normally.

Goodbye NCS! Device closed normally.

NCS device working.

Same on Pi

Assume mvNCCompile: Command not found is due to sdk not installing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just to notice that if you do not have lsb_release package on your system for some reason you also will get the message

"Your current combination of linux distribution and distribution version is not officially supported!"
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Linux Mint 18.3 is based on Ubuntu 16.06 and to have the installation working, just:

Make sure you have all dependencies:

a. dependencies copied from rpi installation instructions:

sudo apt-get install -y libusb-1.0-0-dev libprotobuf-dev libleveldb-dev libsnappy-dev libopencv-dev libhdf5-serial-dev protobuf-compiler libatlas-base-dev git automake byacc lsb-release cmake libgflags-dev libgoogle-glog-dev liblmdb-dev swig3.0 graphviz libxslt-dev libxml2-dev gfortran python3-dev python-pip python3-pip python3-setuptools python3-markdown python3-pillow python3-yaml python3-pygraphviz

python3-h5py python3-nose python3-lxml python3-matplotlib python3-numpy python3-dateutil python3-skimage python3-scipy python3-six python3-networkx

( I needed to install protobuf library manually with: pip3 install protobuf )

b. Additionally, libboost: sudo apt install libboost*

c. clone the git repository to a preferred location: git clone https://github.com/movidius/ncsdk.git

d. run: sudo make install (this will result in an error, but will create the /opt/movidius folder with some content

e. Then, when you are sure you are running Linux Mint 18.3, edit the /opt/movidius/NCSDK/install-ncsdk.sh file and comment out the 'exit 1' after the line with warning message:

echo "Your current version of Linux distribution.." etc

#exit 1

f. run the adjusted script: sudo ./install-ncsdk.sh

This should result in a working installation of the API and the other mvtools tools.

0 Kudos