Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6401 Discussions

OpenVINO 2020.4 on raspberry pi 4 not able to open RTSP camera stream (works with USB camera)

mortyone
Beginner

I am successfully using the 2020.4 download on my raspberry pi 4 with a USB camera:

https://download.01.org/opencv/2020/openvinotoolkit/2020.4/l_openvino_toolkit_runtime_raspbian_p_2020.4.287.tgz

However, when I pass a RTSP url into cv2.VideoCapture() I get the following error:

=========================

>>> import cv2
>>> print (cv2.__version__)
4.2.0-openvino
>>> cam = cv2.VideoCapture("rtsp://admin:password@192.168.1.37/onvif1/")
[ WARN:0] global ../opencv/modules/videoio/src/cap_gstreamer.cpp (1759) handleMessage OpenCV | GStreamer warning: Embedded video playback halted; module source reported: Unauthorized
[ WARN:0] global ../opencv/modules/videoio/src/cap_gstreamer.cpp (888) open OpenCV | GStreamer warning: unable to start pipeline
[ WARN:0] global ../opencv/modules/videoio/src/cap_gstreamer.cpp (480) isPipelinePlaying OpenCV | GStreamer warning: GStreamer: pipeline have not been created
[ERROR:0] global ../opencv/modules/videoio/src/cap.cpp (116) open VIDEOIO(CV_IMAGES): raised OpenCV exception:

OpenCV(4.2.0-openvino) ../opencv/modules/videoio/src/cap_images.cpp:253: error: (-5:Bad argument) CAP_IMAGES: can't find starting number (in the name of file): 

=========================

The RTSP url is correct, it works perfectly with vlc on the same pi 4. 

On the same pi 4, if I do NOT run "~/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh" then I am able to view the RTSP feed using the same python3 code i.e.: 

>>> import cv2
>>> print (cv2.__version__)
>>> cam = cv2.VideoCapture("rtsp://admin:password@192.168.1.37/onvif1/")

<VideoCapture 0xb6743a80>
>>>

The only obvious difference is the cv2.__version__ :

4.2.0-openvino (works for USB camera but not RTSP)  vs 4.1.0 (works for both) 

Does anyone know why running /openvino/bin/setupvars.sh causes openVINO to fail with just RTSP streams? Is this a bug  with Intel's openVINO distribution? 

And how could I resolve the various gstreamer errors thrown with RTSP urls:

OpenCV | GStreamer warning: Embedded video playback halted; module source reported: Unauthorized
OpenCV | GStreamer warning: unable to start pipeline

The issue is specific to RTSP streams. 

Many thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_C_Intel
Employee

Hi mortyone,

Thanks for reaching out. There might be an incompatibility with the OpenCV version installed with the OpenVINO™ toolkit, you can try installing the open source OpenVINO™ Toolkit - Deep Learning Deployment Toolkit (DLDT). Which you use the OpenCV version you need built from source.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Best regards,

David C.

0 Kudos
mortyone
Beginner

Hi, 

I'm still struggling unfortunately, I've spent an additional 50+ hrs , including a fresh install of Buster.

I suspect some of the documentation needs updating i.e. the following page was last updated over a year ago and the benchmark_app mentioned has been moved? https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/arm-sbc-and-ncs2.html 

I also tried the OpenVINO 2019.R3 release because another web page claimed similar problems with OpenVino on the raspberry pi and advised not to use the 2020.x OpenVino release. 

Unfortunately I'm very close to giving up on using the NCS2 with the pi4 to do object detection on my RTSP home cameras. I really wanted this to work. If only there was a step-by-step setup guide which has been confirmed as working in the last couple months. 

Have any other readers out there had any success with the raspberry pi 4 and accessing RTSP streams in conjunction with the NCS2? If so, please can you share your setup instructions/experience?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
David_C_Intel
Employee

Hi mortyone,

As we got no response, this thread will no longer be monitored. If you have any other question, please submit a new post.

Best regards,

David C.

0 Kudos