Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

OpenVINO 2020 and iEi Mustang-V100-MX8

Quantitative_Finance
New Contributor I

Hi,

I have installed OpenVINO 2020 on Ubuntu 18.0.4 with an iEi Mustang-V100-MX8, but I am having trouble running the demo. I followed all the instructions, but I am getting several errors.  The hddldaemon fails with an error:

quantgeek@Ravana:/opt/intel/openvino/inference_engine/external/hddl/bin$ ./hddldaemon
./hddldaemon: symbol lookup error: /opt/intel/openvino_2020.1.023/deployment_tools/inference_engine/external/hddl/lib/libmvnc-hddl.so.0: undefined symbol: hddl_check_device

Running the demo produces the following error:

Run ./classification_sample_async -d HDDL -i /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/demo/car.png -m /home/quantgeek/openvino_models/ir/public/squeezenet1.1/FP16/squeezenet1.1.xml

[ INFO ] InferenceEngine:
API version ............ 2.1
Build .................. 37988
Description ....... API
[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters
[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters
[ INFO ] Files were added: 1
[ INFO ]     /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/demo/car.png
[ INFO ] Creating Inference Engine
[ ERROR ] Failed to create plugin /opt/intel/openvino_2020.1.023/deployment_tools/inference_engine/lib/intel64/libHDDLPlugin.so for device HDDL
Please, check your environment
Cannot load library '/opt/intel/openvino_2020.1.023/deployment_tools/inference_engine/lib/intel64/libHDDLPlugin.so': /opt/intel/openvino_2020.1.023/deployment_tools/inference_engine/external/hddl/lib/libmvnc-hddl.so.0: undefined symbol: hddl_check_device

Error on or near line 217; exiting with status 1

The drivers are all loaded and I can reset it without a problem using bsl_reset, so what gives?

Thanks,

QG

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Max_L_Intel

Hello.

Please ensure you have carefully followed all the additional steps from the following link required for configuring IEI Mustang-V100-MX8 -

- https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/latest/_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_linux_ivad_vpu.html

Especially setting the environment variables:

source /opt/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh

If so, then please run this 'source' command once again right before running classification_sample_async. Let me know the result.

Best regards, Max.

0 Kudos
Quantitative_Finance
New Contributor I

Figured out what the problem is. Apparently, 2020 changed the way the hddldaemon is created.  A new function was added called hddl_check_device which is NOT present in any of the iEi drivers and software.  Hence the instructions are obsolete as the daemon can never run as the dynamic libraries from iEi can't be used in 2020.  Can you or some update the drivers and/or documentation? Hope you guys release the source code the HDDL drivers like you did the Movidus drivers...

0 Kudos
Max_L_Intel

On my end I have run a fresh OpenVINO Toolkit 2020.1 build installation with Mustang-V100-MX8 installed on Ubuntu 18.04 OS. So as a results, I am able to successfully execute classification_sample_async application with HDDL plugin.

Please let me know if you have or had before any other OpenVINO builds installed on this machine? If so, in that case it's important to set the correct environment variables exactly for 2020.1 build.

Best regards, Max.

0 Kudos
Bansal__Ishant
Beginner

You must be using  linux 5.3 kernel , which is not supported as per release notes of 2020.1 ver . use lower ver kernel , it will work fine

0 Kudos
Max_L_Intel

That's correct. Per the release notes for OpenVINO toolkit 2020.1 build, for HDDL plugin there are Linux kernel versions 5.2 and below are only supported.

0 Kudos
kien_leong__tan
Beginner

I also faced the same error but I installed OpenVINO 2020 on Ubuntu 16.04 with an iEi Mustang-V100-MX8

Below the output of uname -a

Linux ubuntu-OptiPlex-7050 4.15.0-88-generic #88~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 12 04:19:15 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Does OpenVINO 2020 still support Ubuntu 16.04?

0 Kudos
Marcia_W_Intel
Employee

quantitative-finance-geek wrote:

"... Can you or some update the drivers and/or documentation? Hope you guys release the source code the HDDL drivers like you did the Movidus drivers..."

Did you see:

/opt/intel/openvino/inference_engine/external/HDDL/drivers

Also, thanks for the information regarding the need for documentation! - FOSS content creator :)

0 Kudos
Max_L_Intel

I also faced the same error but I installed OpenVINO 2020 on Ubuntu 16.04 with an iEi Mustang-V100-MX8

Below the output of uname -a

Linux ubuntu-OptiPlex-7050 4.15.0-88-generic #88~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 12 04:19:15 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Does OpenVINO 2020 still support Ubuntu 16.04?

Hello, kien leong, tan

Per the release notes, OpenVINO toolkit build 2020.1 has not been officially validated for Ubuntu 16.04 - https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/OpenVINO-RelNotes
However, the driver is still there, so there's a high chance that it works. Have you already tried all the recommendations from this topic?

If that still does not work, please also have a chance to try one of OpenVINO toolkit previous builds (2018) with official Ubuntu 16.04 support - https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/OpenVINO-RelNotes-2018

0 Kudos
kien_leong__tan
Beginner

Hi Max L.

I tried with OpenVINO 2019.3.376 and it work.

Any chances OpenVINO 2020 will support Ubuntu 16.04 in the future?

0 Kudos
Max_L_Intel

kien leong, tan wrote:

Hi Max L.

I tried with OpenVINO 2019.3.376 and it work.

Any chances OpenVINO 2020 will support Ubuntu 16.04 in the future?

Hi, kien leong, tan.

Unfortunately, we can't comment on future releases and features, because they are subject to change. But if you would like to continue to use OpenVINO toolkit 2020.1 build, then we would recommend you to go further with Ubuntu 18.04 version.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlexCKLam
Employee

Hi,

I am running into similar error with OpenVINO 2021.1

[ ERROR ] Failed to create plugin /opt/intel/openvino_2021/deployment_tools/inference_engine/lib/intel64/libHDDLPlugin.so for device HDDL
Please, check your environment
Cannot load library '/opt/intel/openvino_2021/deployment_tools/inference_engine/lib/intel64/libHDDLPlugin.so': libboost_filesystem.so.1.65.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ldconfig --version shows libboost_filesystem.so.1.65.1 is in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

so I don't understand the issue.

0 Kudos