Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

OpenVINO Installation - Enabling OpenCL functionality

GMath7
Beginner

Hi,

I have installed OpenVINO on my machine. And to execute OpenVINO on GPU, I understood from another thread in your forum that I should install OCL driver. .While executing the install_NEO_OCL_driver.sh on my intel core i7, 8700 processor with GPU GTX 1080, I am getting a info message to add i915.aplha_support = 1 to the 4.14 kernel command line in order to enable OpenCL functionality for this platform. Could you please help me how and where should I have to add i915.aplha_support = 1?

regards,

Gina  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
__om__
Beginner

Gina,

if your Linux is Ubuntu there are several options:

1. Add this directly to kernel command line to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable of /etc/default/grub, issue update-grub command after the change.

2. Create configuration file in /etc/modprobe.d/

But the better option is to move to fresh kernel like 4.18 which doesn't require this modification to support new hardware.

0 Kudos
GMath7
Beginner

Thank you for the message. Will check the same

0 Kudos
GMath7
Beginner

1 That would mean to change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i915.alpha_support = 1" Could you confirm whether this is correct

2. Also could you please tell how to create configuration file in /etc/modprobe.d/

0 Kudos
__om__
Beginner

1. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i915.alpha_support=1" and issue update-grub command after the change.

or

$ echo "options i915 alpha_support=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf

$ update-initramfs -u -k all

and restart.

0 Kudos
GMath7
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. I did Step1 as mentioned above.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i915.alpha_support=1" and issue update-grub command after the change

But on reboot, system gives me message that "Your system is running in low-graphics mode". Ubuntu get stuck and doesnt give option for logging in. Could you please help me.

I am using a Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU with llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 256 bits). My intention is to execute OpenVINO sample in GPU, which I am not able to do.

It would be great if you can guide me in the process

0 Kudos
om77
New Contributor I

Gina,

Actually you need to get working clinfo with Intel hardware output. Is it working now? If this is the case, OpenVINO on GPU should work even if xorg is broken. Xorg may be repaired, but this is out of the scope here.

If clinfo doesn't show Intel hardware output... The first thing for your configuration to make it work is to disable GPU GTX 1080 usage (check your bios for this). Next it may require to remove nvidia proprietary (if installed) drivers and to check that nouveau opensource drivers are disabled. And it's possible that during this way you may get broken xorg - if it's confusing, the job may be done through regular terminal (like Ctrl-Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F2) or through ssh connection.

0 Kudos
GMath7
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. Will check and update

0 Kudos