Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Running with docker container only works when set to --net=host mode

idata
Employee

My docker run commands looks something like this (using 16.04):

sudo docker run -t -i -v /dev:/dev --privileged --net=host kwierman/movidius bash

I've tested with hello_ncs.py and it works fine. If I remove the --net=host however, I'll get "Error - Could not open NCS device" when running hello_ncs.py. Why is this the case? I've also tried to apply the fix described here https://ncsforum.movidius.com/discussion/394/ncs-access-in-a-docker-container-in-virtualbox-on-mac-osx , but it doesn't seem to have any effect

Here's a more complete error log

Device 0 Address: 2 - VID/PID 03e7:2150 1 Starting wait for connect with 2000ms timeout Found Address: 2 - VID/PID 03e7:2150 Found EP 0x81 : max packet size is 512 bytes Found EP 0x01 : max packet size is 512 bytes Found and opened device Performing bulk write of 865724 bytes... Successfully sent 865724 bytes of data in 98.785142 ms (8.357722 MB/s) Boot successful, device address 2 Traceback (most recent call last): File "streamer_ncs.py", line 39, in <module> devHandle[devnum].OpenDevice() File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/mvnc/mvncapi.py", line 147, in OpenDevice raise Exception(Status(status)) Exception: mvncStatus.ERROR
0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've already seen the thread you linked to. My question was more regarding why does it only work when we run the container in --net=host. What changed exactly? I've also had problem with line 609 of the installation script and have to run the 2 udev commands manually after. I currently have a project where I'm using multiple docker containers using a private network and won't work with --net=host.

0 Kudos