Intel® Embree Ray Tracing Kernels
Discussion forum on the open source ray tracing kernels for fast photo-realistic rendering on Intel® CPU(s)
280 Discussions

Interpolation of texture coordinates on subdivision surfaces

Pierre_L_5
Beginner

Hi everyone !

Again, congratulations for your incredible work, I mean it.

I still have another question concerning Embree's subdivision surfaces: is there any simple way to interpolate face-varying data (typically texture coordinates) across the smooth surface? 

It seems rtcInterpolate only handles vertex-varying data, and I naturally cannot duplicate vertices if I want my smoothed surface to remain watertight.
What would be the nicest approach to tackle this issue?

I did try to store the texture coordinates in a separate buffer, and straightforwardly use ray.u/v to interpolate them across my low-poly surface's faces (following the documentation's interpolation rules for triangles and quads). I hoped the result would correspond to texture coordinates that had not been smoothed, but would be useful. 

It did not end well at all unfortunately. Turns out the ray.u/v are very different depending on the tesselation level used to smooth the surface.

I am no expert when it comes to subdivision surfaces, so any help is more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, 
   Pierre.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Pierre_L_5
Beginner

Hi!

I am quite embarassed actually. 
It turns out there was an face data indexing bug in my code that corrupted my interpolated texture coordinates. 
It works like a charm now.

Sorry for the bother and keep up the good work!

Cheers,
    Pierre.

0 Kudos