Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1180 Discussions

MAX 10 FPGA Remote System Upgrade (RSU)

Shiva
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying remote system upgrade for MAX10 FPGA device, Here i am able to write and read the rpd data of CFM1 but when i trigger the reconfiguration it is not getting reconfigured. I am doing this remote system upgrade without using the NIOS ii processor.

Can you provide the information regarding, is there any particular way to write the rpd data to configuration flash memory of MAX10 FPGA device and what might be the reason for not getting reconfigured?

Thanks,

Shiva

0 Kudos
47 Replies
Shiva
Beginner

Hi,

The original data is 50 FF 47 FF but if i read back through MCU(flashed through JTAG) it is giving 16 E7 A4 E3 value.

If i write and read back the data through MCU the data is matching and if i signal tap the readdata signal on Avalon MM interface while reading, it is reading the exact original data but if we examine through JTAG the data in CFM1 location is different.

Regards,

Shiva.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know which particular Max 10 device are you using?

0 Kudos
Shiva
Beginner

Hi,

I am using 10M08SAU169C8G Device.

Regards,

Shiva.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi.

After further investigation and understanding, there is some misunderstanding on how to sector to address is being define.

If you look into the IP Parameter for On-Chup Flash Intel FPGA IP, below is the mapping for dual compressed Image configuration mode.

Sector 1 - UFM

Sector 2 - UFM

Sector 3 - CFM2 (1st part)

Sector 4 - CFM2 (2nd part)

Sector 5 - CFM1

Could you confirm if you read from "SECTOR5_START_ADDR         (44032), //hex value = AC00", are you able to see the data is correctly read compare to the rpd file?

0 Kudos
Shiva
Beginner

Hi,

I think it is like this.

Sector 1 - UFM

Sector 2 - UFM

Sector 3 - CFM2 (image 2)

Sector 4 - CFM1 (image 2)

Sector 5 - CFM0 (image 1)

I tried to write the data by considering sector 5 as CFM1(gave the respective address 17'hAC00) and made the write protection of CFM1 to "0" and started writing but it is not giving the Write_successful bit to "1". And i tried the same thing by making the Write protection of CFM0 to "0" and started writing this time i am able to see the Write_successful bit to "1". Which means sector 5 represents the CFM0.

I followed the MAX10 user guide manual,in this from page 5-6 we can see the sectors and there Areas.

I think what we are doing previously was correct.But don't know why if we examine through JTAG it is not matching with the rpd data, which results in not triggering the reconfiguration.

Regards,

Shiva.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you use MCU to send 1 word data (4 byte) to read from address ".SECTOR3_START_ADDR         (8192), //hex value = 2000" and use the SignalTap to monitor the signal? I would like to see what you observed on MCU and the SignalTap to determine the issue?

0 Kudos