Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28472 Discussions

Are there incompatibilities when running Intel Fotran generated code with AMD CPUs?

akh123
Beginner
I have compiled a piece of code optimized to use Intel processor extensions when available. They are not required and thus the code should also have strict IA-32 code generation.

Unfortunately, the code is having issues running on an AMD Athlon XP system. An error about missing files is being generated. While I believe this is a system specific event, I was curious if anyone had encountered any issues when running software on an AMD platform.

Thanks.

-kirk
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
"Missing files"? Can you be more specific?
If you have used the /Qax form of the optimization switch, the code should execute without problems on non-Intel processors, as long as they correctly implement the Intel Pentium instruction set. I can't imagine any circumstance which would cause a dependency on a file to be created.
If you use the /Qx form, which assumes an Intel processor, then the code may or may not run on non-Intel processors. Even then, there would be no "missing file" error - if there was an incompatibility, you would either get a run-time error or possibly wrong results (especially if you used /QxW.)
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
For/Qx[KW] there is a failure in the vector math library, when run on AMD. I understand it is to be corrected in the next 8.0 update.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you are getting a run-time error which attempts to write out a message from a file containing error messages, that would not be specific to AMD, it could come from the requested file not being present on the system you run on. You could copy that file from the compiler installation to your run-time installation.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Except that on Windows, the Intel compiler does not have such a message file. (It does on Linux, for now...)
0 Kudos
akh123
Beginner
The code is being run by another employee here and it turns out that it was an error in the input deck used. Once corrected the code is now working as it should.

I appreciate all the information, as compatibility is a concern of mine. If there's anything else, I'm all ears for it.

Thanks again!

-kirk
0 Kudos