Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Back trace not produced by -traceback

Sourish_B_
Beginner

Hello,

I have noticed this problem before with ifort, but never had a solution. Basically, I have a fairly large (modern) fortran code, which is crashing. So in order to diagnose what's causing the crash, I compiled it with the command line

ifort -fPIC -fp-model strict -fomit-frame-pointer -m64 -warn align -r8 -openmp -O2 -g -traceback -check bounds -check format -check pointers -check stack -check uninit -fpe0 -ftrapuv -fp-stack-check -gen-interfaces -warn interfaces

i.e., I put in all check and debug flags I knew. This compiled executable does give me a slightly more informative message on a crash:

forrtl: severe (408): fort: (7): Attempt to use pointer LRATE when it is not associated with a target

but it still doesn't give me a backtrace. The entity 'Lrate' occurs at many places in my code, so without a back trace it's kind of hard to figure out where the code is crashing. Is there anything else I can do to produce a backtrace?

Thanks,

Sourish

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

If your primary objective is to find the cause of the crash and the crash occurs regardless of optimizations, I suggest that you leave out -O2 and -fomit-frame-pointer and see if that re-enables the back-trace.

0 Kudos
Sourish_B_
Beginner

Thanks for the response. Just followed your suggestion, but no dice. I still get the same error message (forrtl: severe (408): fort: (7): Attempt to use pointer LRATE when it is not associated with a target) and no traceback.

-Sourish

0 Kudos