Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28485 Discussions

Basic question on the upgrading process of Intel Cluster Studio.

mjcaldas
Beginner
Hello.
We have installed version 11.1.072 of Intel Cluster Studio (Fortran/C++/etc) and we are in the process of upgrading the software (current license will expire only in 2013) to the newest release. At step 4 we are asked to start the installation, which leads to the installation folder question.Will the currently /opt/intel folder be fully erased or the new ICS will just add new folders on top of it ?
I appreciate your attention on this request.
Thank you.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If your installation of a new version suggests installation in a folder containing the new version number, that will leave the old installation intact.
0 Kudos
mjcaldas
Beginner
Thank you for the reply.
Indeed, after running install.sh I realized that the newest version of Intel Cluster Studio uses a different folder structure. After running the install script, my Compiler folder was left intact and new folders showed up :
compilerpro-12.0.0.084
composerxe
composerxe-2011
composerxe-2011.0.084
ics
I got no error during the update but when I looked for the, let's say, Fortran binaries, there was nothing there. Same for icc and others :
Station:/opt/intel # ls /opt/intel/composerxe-2011.0.084/bin/
compilervars.csh compilervars.sh en_US uninstall.sh
Looking at my icssupport.txt, it says that I should be able to upgrade the following items :
Package ID: l_ics_p_2011.0.013
Package Contents:
Intel Cluster Studio 2011 for Linux* OS
Intel C++ Compiler XE version 12.0 for Linux*
Intel Fortran Compiler XE version 12.0 for Linux*
Intel Debugger version 12.0 for Linux*
Intel Math Kernel Library 10.3 for Linux* OS
Intel MPI Library 4.0 Update 1 for Linux* OS
Intel Trace Analyzer and Collector 8.0 Update 1 for Linux* OS
Intel MPI Benchmarks 3.2.2
Any ideas ?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

In the 12.0 series, the libraries are a level further down, in the /compiler/lib/ directory. In the /bin/ directory, you should have the environment source scripts, both under names similar to previous and with the name compilervars.*.

You installed a fairly old version; there have been 4 updates since that one.

0 Kudos
mjcaldas
Beginner
Thank you again, Tim.
Ok, I found the libraries. I got confused because I was also expecting some compiler wrappers like the ones we have for version 11.1.Do they exist ?
By the way, where do I find the newest release of ICS ?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

In the /bin/ directory, along with ifort, there are environment setting wrappers with the old name, e.g. ifortvars... and identical ones named compilervars....

When you have registered your serial number at https://registrationcenter.intel.com you can log into that site and download all newer and older versions of the same tools. I suppose they appear under individual components (Fortran, C++, MPI)

0 Kudos