Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Browser Availability

tashker__michael
Beginner
I recall reading somewhere (release notes?) that the browser functionality (variable/routine defintion/uses) was not available in VS .NET due to MS licensing issues. Is it known if this will eventually work? 100K LOC is a lot to deal with without a browser.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I don't recognize the issue you're asking about. Can you explain it in more detail?
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

I remember reading the same thing tashkerm did from a recent posting somewhere in this forum. I believe he's referring to IVF8 not having the ability to generate source browser information like CVF does with the /browser compiler switch.

I find this to be very handy, and I also hope that it will find its way into IVF8 soon.

Mike D.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Oh, source browser. Right.
I don't see a way of this coming back As an alternative, we're looking at providing listing files with cross-reference info. It's also possible that we could do something with a different cross-reference tool.
0 Kudos
tashker__michael
Beginner

Ah, listing files with cross-reference info! Reminds me of when I trudged miles across the snow tomy one-room log-cabin schoolhouse. We had listings then. Used paper-tape boot loaders too.

You'd think MS would provide, license, or somehow make availablethat interface since they want folks to buy .NET and don't provide all the languages in the known world.Thought they were still friends with Intel.

0 Kudos
rase
New Contributor I
Oh, the source browser is not included in IVF8? I remember the announcement of cross reference listings for DVF "coming soon" a few years ago. Any time frame for the cross reference tools? Greetings, Wolf
0 Kudos
emc-nyc
Beginner

There are a lot of good tools out there to do cross-referencing and more. Some just depend on how much cash you have;only FTNCHEK is free. IMHO, all are better thanSourceBrowser.

Fortran-LINT (From Cleanscape Software International) It is most emphatically NOT free. I have used it in the past, on F77 and F90 code.
FORCHECK from the Leiden University is also good.
Lahey Fortran came bundled with Visual Analyzer, which (in my opinion) was much better than SourceBrowser (SourceBrowser can't print). The IVF team may be able to license it; it copious (and useful) reports, graphical text call trees, etc. The call trees link into the source for the routines. While I was not satisfied with Lahey Fortran (not getting return codes from system callswas not acceptable), Visual Analyzer alone was almost worth it.
FORESYS from simulog and forstruct from cobalt blue do much more, including conversion from f77 (and maybe f66) to f90.
Robert Moniot's FTNCHEK may work for F90 (last I knew it did not)
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I am not aware that we ever promised cross-reference in listings for CVF. It remains on our "wish list".
0 Kudos