Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Building DLL, how to export .LIB?

Paul_Curtis
Valued Contributor I
I am in the early stages of converting a large multimodule Win32 program from CVF to IVF (just downloaded 8.1).
One of the solution projects is a DLL containing dialog resources & definitions. The compiler creates the .DLL output just fine, but never creates the companion .LIB output file. (This worked perfectly in CVF/DevStudio).
In VS, the project Properties->Linker->Advanced has the correct entry for the import library filename to be created. What else needs to be done in order for the output .LIB file to actually be created?
TIA, Paul Curtis
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If the linker does not see any symbols exported, it does not create the export .lib. Do you have a .DEF file that names the symbols to be exported?
0 Kudos
Paul_Curtis
Valued Contributor I
CVF exported a .lib without a .def file, but IVF seems to require one. I used the various root.def samples supplied with IVF to create the simplest .def file, and the .lib output was then created. Should the creation of missing .def files be part of the automatic conversion feature? Not a big deal, though. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I am puzzled as to how this worked with CVF, if what you have are resources and not routines. The project converter would not know how to figure out what you were doing here. Using a .DEF file is the appropriate solution.
0 Kudos