Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28487 Discussions

Can I distribute binary IVF code linked with IMSL ?

jianni
Beginner

Hello all,

I have code that I use to compile with CVF with the supplied IMSL library and distributed to other users who do not own any compilers on their PC. The code worked fine. I am looking to purchase Intel Professional Fortran compiler (with IMSL). Can I do the same thing with this version of Fortran and IMSL? PS. I use ALOT of IMSL libraries... Are there any IMSL libraries which are "locked" to the owner's PC and CANNOT be distributed?

IE. Some subroutines in the NAG DLL library are locked on the users PC and will not run on another PC, even if you statically link the NAG library to your Fortran binary.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, you are allowed to redistribute your application linked with IMSL. The major limitations are that your application has to add value of its own - it cannot simply be a shell that provides IMSL features to unlicensed users, and that the program not run on a "cluster" or a multiprocessor system with more than four physical CPUs.

Note that we have specifically negotiated an agreement with VNI to allow free redistribution of IMSL, whereas if you bought from VNI itself you would have to purchase a separate run-time license.

0 Kudos
jianni
Beginner

>Yes, you are allowed to redistribute your application linked with IMSL.

Checks in da mail!

>The major limitations are that your application has to add value of its own - it cannot >simply be a shell that provides IMSL features to unlicensed users

Of course...

>and that the program not run on a "cluster" or a multiprocessor system with more than >four physical CPUs.

So the only thing parallel about IVF/IMSL is that it will run on a max. of four-cpu-core CPU system, so I assume it runs on a 2 cpu-core system?

>Note that we have specifically negotiated an agreement with VNI to allow free >redistribution of IMSL, whereas if you bought from VNI itself you would have to >purchase a separate run-time license.

That is really great! Whoever did that at Intel should get a raise and a bonus!

Now is there a Linux-binary version of the IVF/IMSL that works the same way?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
That's four CPUs, not four cores, though the current IMSL installer treats cores and Hyper-Threading as distinct CPUs. Windows makes it hard to distinguish. Note that the only actual check is during install of IMSL on your development systen - there are no run-time checks. It will run fine on any number of cores.

Sorry, we do not and have no plans to offer a bundle with IMSL on Linux. You can purchase IMSL for Linux directly from VNI. You might want to look at Intel's Math Kernel Library to see if it has the routines you need. We do support that on all of our platforms.
0 Kudos