Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Can't create a new Fortran project in Visual Studio

WesJD
Novice

I installed Intel Fortran 2023 over my Visual Studio 2022 Community (including the C++ desktop workspace) on Windows 10 and when I opened Visual Studio the first time, everything was beautiful. The Fortran projects showed up at the top of the list of templates in the "Create a new project" dialog and I successfully created a new project, added a source file, copied in code, and saw it color-code.

But the next time I opened VS, the Fortran templates were gone from the new project template list and Fortran was missing from the languages dropdown in the list. It seems like Fortran is still present in VS because the color-coding in the source file I created the first time is still there, and there is an "Intel Compiler" item at the top of the Tools menu.

From reading other posts, I'm guessing I need to uninstall and reinstall both VS and Intel Fortran but I'm hoping for a less demanding and time-consuming solution. Is there any way to create a new Fortran project if the templates are missing from the VS New Project dialog?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
WesJD
Novice

Upgrading from v. 2023 to 2023.0.0 seems to have fixed my issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WesJD
Novice

Upgrading from v. 2023 to 2023.0.0 seems to have fixed my issue.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Rule no. 1 The FORTRAN god or Fortran gods work in mysterious ways and sometimes, you just have to thump the truck with a large stick to make it work, aka the scene in the Longest Day with Sean Connery. 

Rule No. 2 Things that break by themselves often fix themselves. 

Rule No. 3 Check the extensions installed in VS to see if the Fortran Extensions are truly installed

Rule No. 4 Leave it for an hour to allow Rule No. 2 to work. 

Rule No. 5 Yelling at someone does not work, but if you want to swear at it, saying tarnation will have some asking if you have a cee-ment pond or where is Granny, but no-one will be offended.  Even the Intel Fortran FORMUM GOD does not object to tarnation. 

Rule No. 6 Bad things happen to good people. 

Rule No 7. Reinstall if all else fails.  Do not forget to install the C requirements for VS, a common mistake. 

qrglg8fodqea1.png

I found this yesterday and it reminded me of my granddaughter, except she is sitting next to me whilst I watch the Wiggles.  I do not like the Wiggles. 

Finally, FORTRAN II lives in the heart of many, ok a few really old people, but it lives. 

0 Kudos
WesJD
Novice

Thanks for those rules! 

Re: Rule No. 3 - I see three extensions in VS: Intel Distribution for GDB, Intel oneAPI Debugger Integration, and Intel Fortran Expression Evaluator. Does that seem right? Is it normal that syntax errors in the code are not flagged until I attempt to compile?

Re: A few really old people... I learned Fortran when Fortran 77 was new, and having shifted to VB.Net a couple of decades later, I still miss it. I am currently working on a project for which I found a bunch of Fortran code that is still useful, and getting back to Fortran and away from the tyranny of 0-based arrays is wonderful.

0 Kudos