Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

Cannot open vfproj file in visual studio 2017

ray__christopher
Beginner

I have VS 2017 15.7.1

I've tried all the things I can find but I cannot open a vfproj file that I created in February 2018 now in May 2018. I was running the 30-day trial in February and then it expired. Afterward I uninstalled all intel products. Then later on I acquired a license for this software and reinstalled it, Update 2. I see in the Help menu of Visual Studio "Intel Compilers and Libraries" and "Intel Software Manager", but in the list of installed products, Fortran does not appear, or anything Intel. When I create a new project, Fortran does not appear (it did before, with the 30 day trial). I uninstalled and reinstalled VF compiler and even installed the most recent update 3. No avail. This was an expensive license and I need it ASAP. What gives?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

It sound like the Fortran integration for VS2017 have not been installed either because of a problem or because you chose not to during the install.

Others may be able to advise more elegant routes but I would probably uninstall everything. Then install VS and then install fortran. That will take some time. I would try a system reboot first  just in case that fixes it.

0 Kudos
ray__christopher
Beginner

andrew_4619 thanks for your reply. I didn't see any option in the installer specifically for VS2017 integration, however during the install process I saw that it was installing some kind of integration with Visual Studio. But I agree, it seems not to have installed correctly.

I really *really* want to avoid uninstalling VS since this isn't the only thing I'm working on at the moment. Reboot does not help.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Yes the answer is probably to uninstall Fortran. Manually delete some junk that is left over and then reinstall fortran. It is that middle step that I can't help you with. VS has massive complexity and the fortran install that tries to maintain compatibility with three versions of VS makes things even more complex. There are so many permutations that it does not surprise that it goes wrong sometimes.

0 Kudos
ray__christopher
Beginner

Understood. My problem is that it fails silently (rather it actually pretends to succeed, but then fortran is not available in VS) and I don't know where to look for any log files that might suggest what went wrong. Stuck...

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

The logs are in  something like:

%temp%\pset_tmp_PSXE<version>_<username>

Example: PSXE 2016 = %temp%\pset_tmp_PSXE2016_<username>

Get the logs and file a ticket with intel

0 Kudos
ray__christopher
Beginner

andrew_4619 I reluctantly took your advice, as well as the advice of the intel person in my separate support ticket and uninstalled everything including Visual Studio. Starting from complete scratch, it's working now.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos