Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Choose folder

Alessandro_D_
New Contributor I

Dear users,

I would like to specify a folder where VisualStudio writes some output. I have a main folder that contains two subfolders, say

- Console1, which stores the VS project (files with extensions vfproj and sln)

- output, which is supposed to store some txt files generated by the fortran program.

By deafult, VS writes all outputs in the folder where the vfproj file is located, i.e. Console1 in my case. Is it possible to customize this and make VS save the outputs in a specific folder different from Console1? I had a look on "Properties>Fortran>Output Files" but it's not clear what to do.

I'm using Visual Studio 2019 on Windows 10

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You are conflating Visual Studio, the compiler, and your application.

When a program is run from Visual Studio, the default folder (where files get accessed if you don't qualify the path) is the folder with the project file (.vfproj). You can change this with the project property Debugging > Working Directory.

The property under Fortran > Output Files refers to files created by the compilation process.

Visual Studio itself isn't writing any files, other than the project and solution files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You are conflating Visual Studio, the compiler, and your application.

When a program is run from Visual Studio, the default folder (where files get accessed if you don't qualify the path) is the folder with the project file (.vfproj). You can change this with the project property Debugging > Working Directory.

The property under Fortran > Output Files refers to files created by the compilation process.

Visual Studio itself isn't writing any files, other than the project and solution files.

0 Kudos