Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

Compiler Bug: parameterized derived type - len parameter on argument passing

Rodrigo_R_
Beginner

Hi,

I am observing some strange behaviour of Intel Compiler 18.0 Update 2 Intel(R) 64 on Windows 10 when trying to pass PDT's with len parameters to and from procedures.

Take this code sample:

module pdts
  implicit none

type :: v(n)
    integer, len :: n
  end type

contains
  function op(v1, v2) result (v3)
    type(v(*)), intent(in) :: v1, v2
    type(v(v1%n * v2%n)) :: v3
    print *, "op(", v1%n, ", ", v2%n, ") ->", v3%n
  end
end

program test
  use :: pdts
  implicit none

integer, parameter :: a = 6, b = 2
  type(v(a)) :: va = v(a)()
  type(v(b)) :: vb = v(b)()
  type(v(a * b)) :: vab
  type(v(99)) :: v99
  type(v(6)) :: v6

print *, va%n, vb%n, vab%n, v99%n, v6%n  ! [1] output: 6, 2, 12, 99, 6
  vab = op(va, vb)                         ! [2] output: op(6, 2) -> 12
  vab = op(v(a)(), v(b)())                 ! [3] error #8747:
    ! All nondeferred type parameters in a structure constructor must have
    ! the same values as the corresponding type parameters of the object. 
  v99 = op(va, vb)                         ! [4] output: op(6, 2) -> 12
  v99 = op(v(a)(), v(b)())                 ! [5] error #8747:
  v6 = op(va, vb)                          ! [6] output: op(6, 2) -> 12
  v6 = op(v(a)(), v(b)())                  ! [7] output: op(0, 0) -> 12
  print *, va%n, vb%n, vab%n, v99%n, v6%n  ! [8] output: 6, 2, 12, 12, 12
end

The function op takes 2 PDT arguments with assumed len parameters and return a PDT with an automatic len parameter that is the multiplication of the other two.

In the tests, the outputs [1] and [2] show the correct, expected results.

Test [3] fails with error #8747, complaining about the len parameters not matching. I interpret this as a compiler bug, because if test[2] is valid then this should be valid too.

Test [4] doesn't throw any error, and I believe this is also a bug, because result's len parameter doesn't match the LHS of the assignment. More strangely, the assignment changes the len parameter of the variable, as you can see in output [8]. Test[5] breakes just like [3], but it was indeed supposed to fail in this case.

Test [6], just like [4], doesn't throw any error, when it should, and changes the len parameter of the variable.

But, surprisingly, test [7] doens't throw error #8747 like the others, and succeds in calling the procedure, although both argument's len parameters become zero. I noticed this only happens when the len parameter of the first passed argument match the len parameter of the PDT in the LHS of the assignment. This is also a bug, because it mismatches the result's declaration in the function.

Are my observations valid or am I missing something in this example?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Yes, you should. But first try it with the 19.0 release. (I tried the beta and it still fails - I don't have the release installed yet.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Mark_Lewy
New Contributor III

The only comment I have is that is the program standard conforming by having a PDT with no compenent-part?

It compiles and works if you add a single real :: v(n) component and modify the structure constructors appropriately.

Steve_Lionel

Mark Lewy wrote:

The only comment I have is that is the program standard conforming by having a PDT with no compenent-part?

Yes, it is conforming. One is not required to have components in any derived type.

Rodrigo_R_
Beginner
So, it is a bug? Should I open a ticket for it?
Steve_Lionel

Yes, you should. But first try it with the 19.0 release. (I tried the beta and it still fails - I don't have the release installed yet.

View solution in original post