Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compiler Diagnostics List

SunMesa
Beginner

Hello all,

Does anyone know what became of the comprehensive list of Intel Fortran compiler diagnostics? I note that on the compiler FAQ page (https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-information-and-frequently-asked-questions.html), which was last updated Mar 2020, there is a link titled "Intel Fortran Compiler Diagnostic Messages", but clicking that link brings up a page (last updated 2016) that says "The article you are looking for has been retired!", with another link that goes to the Fortran Compiler home page. The Fortran 19.1 Developer's Guide document does not contain the diagnostics list I am looking for. Does anyone know where it went, or where it might be archived? It was actually pretty handy, with useful pointers and discussion about many of the more commonly encountered errors. Thanks for any info!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

Try this:   ifort -diag-dump p.f90

ifort dumped 4582 lines of possible diagnostic messages for p.f90.  Unfortunately, there's no assistance to fixing the problem. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I had noticed that the diagnostic web pages disappeared some time ago. Unfortunately, most of them had nothing other than the text from the message and even those were not updated with new messages from recent versions.

0 Kudos
SunMesa
Beginner

Thanks Steve, I even thought you had contributed to the web page content. Has it been archived somewhere? It's like it's literally been scrubbed from the internet!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I did contribute here and there when I worked for Intel. Truthfully, it was hard to create meaningful content for these pages. If you need help with a specific error, ask about it here (and, ideally, include the source that triggered it.)

0 Kudos
SunMesa
Beginner

Thanks Barbara, but I guess I wouldn't have much use for just a literal list of the error codes/titles. The documentation I'm looking for was much more informative... although there were numerous entries that simply reiterated the diagnostic code number and the error description, a large number of them had associated useful discussion. It clearly represented a fair amount of work, I'd be astonished if it has simply been discarded. Remarkably, I can't even find it archived on the Wayback Machine.

Nevertheless, I tried the ifort command you suggested (literally pasting it into the command line, then inserting the name of a locally present f90 file for "p.f90"), but it didn't work for me. It returned "ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '/diag-dump'". 

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

For Windows the compiler option is /Qdiag-dump. 

0 Kudos
SunMesa
Beginner

Thanks Barbara, that did produce the literal list of error codes/descriptions.

0 Kudos