Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Intel Customer Support will be observing the Martin Luther King holiday on Monday, Jan. 17, and will return on Tues. Jan. 18.
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646
26844 Discussions

Connect to oracle/mysql DB through ODBC

Mattia
Novice

I know that this topic has been discussed many and many times, but this problem is concerning me since 5 years and I still have not found a solution.

I am using a virtual machine with Compaq visual Fortran under Windows XP because I need to compile a F project using the SQL tools from Canaima. My code works with Oracle/MySWL dbs. Now I want to move to Visual Studio and the Intel Fortran Compiler, but I do not know how to connect to a sql db.

Is there a solution for this? Of course, I would like to continue using the Canaima libraries, but if not possible I can switch to other tools...

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

Several years ago I worked on an interface for SQLite and, derived from that, for ODBC. You can find the code here: http://flibs.sourforge.net There is also an interface specific to MySQL. It may or may not be sufficient for your needs. (I should probably update it, because the interfacing with C predates ISO_C_BINDING ;)).

Mattia
Novice

Thank you, I have seen this. The use I make of the DB is quite basic, I think this may help but I am not sure how to use it...

I have downloaded a file called flibs-0.9.zip, and then I have found a sqlite.f90 file containing a module.

I do not really know how to make this work.

Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

I will send you a private message regarding this.

Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

Hm, that seems not to be possible any more. Then I will have to do it this way.

I have not updated the zip files in a long time now, so the best way to get the code is to get a copy of the source code via the SVN repository. For the ODBC interface, you need to get the files fodbc.f90 and codbc.c and add them to your program. I see I have forgotten to include the sample makefile, when I moved the sources to a cleaner set-up.

The easiest way to help you wih this will be to prepare a small test program with all the necessary bits and pieces. Do you use Visual Studio or makefiles or the like?

Mattia
Novice

Thank you a lot for this, I use Visual Studio.

Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

Well, it took a bit of work to assemble all the pieces, but here at least is a zip file containing the source code and a very basic batch file to link the program. More to follow (that is: a VS solution).

The trst program does not do all that much, as it wants to read an MS Access file, but it ought to ilustrate the use.

Mattia
Novice

I will wait for the VS solution, the batch is not working because cl and ifort are not recognized as commands

Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

What I do in such cases, especially with small programs like this one, is open the console window - "Compiler ... environment". That sets up the path and environment variables to use the command-line tools. I hope to be able to set up the VS solution today (that always takes me more time than writing a batch file ;)).

Mattia
Novice

Thanks, I realized that It was an environment path issue. So I run the Intel oneAPI command prompt, and it worked, I have got the exe.

The VS solution would help a lot, thank you...

Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

Well, the attached zip file contains my example VS solution. I hope the set-up is clear enough. FYI: I needed to add the option _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS to avoid error messagea about the use of strcpy() and I needed to add the odbc32.lib library as a dependency.

Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi,

This text below is not connecting through ODBC but another solution. So, maybe offtopic.

Some years ago I build successfully interfaces based on FLIBS/ Daniel Krafts wrappers to the MySQL c-API. One of my old threads regarding this topic can be found here and another thread here.

FLIBS can be found still: https://github.com/philip-peterson/flibs or http://flibs.sourceforge.net/

It worked totally fine for me. I have modified the files and could provide my version, if it would help.

Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

Interesting :).I am definitely interested in that.

Aside: I had some trouble with the ODBC library for MinGW-w64/MSYS2, as that used to be accessible via "-lodbc", but apparently a different name is now used (or at least a different name was used by the package nanodbc I had to install). And some other stuff relating to C data types specific to SQL. That used not to be a problem. Well, another lesson learned. Things may change, so you have to check now and again that other things still work.

Mattia
Novice

Thank you a lot for this.

The code is compiling, but the test on the available drivers is returning this output. Also, I tried to connect to the odbc with a connection string and using odbc_connect, but it does not work. Now I am using a mysql community server database. I think I will give up with this... unless the solution is simple.

Mattia_0-1611074082917.png

Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

Hm, odd, but I understand. Perhaps the direct connection to MySQL that Johannes Rieke mentioned is a solution?

Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

I have attached the code in Flibs that Johannes referred to. It does not contain his adaptations ;).

I am puzzled by the output you got. On my system I get:

Overview of installed drivers:

SQL Server                              APILevel=2
SQL Server Native Client 11.0           UsageCount=1

Overview of data sources:

Opening a particular database file:
List of tables:
 Create a (new) table:
 08003     [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Connection not open
 Check the contents:
 Data:
 Columns of table "example"
Example with MS Excel:
List of tables:

(This is on Windows 10.)

Obviously on your system things are quite different.

Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi, sorry has been very busy. I had to seperate the modified files from other dependencies. Since I used the code in 2015 with mysql libs from this time in x64 GNU/Linux + ifort. I cannot say, whether my modified code is working, still. I attached it anyways. It's based on the FLIBS version. I've no idea about rights and license. Please contact in this case the owner of FLIBS or Daniel Kraft.

Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Second try, first time, the attachment has been erased.

Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

As the "owner" of Flibs, I thank you for this contribution. The license for all the stuff in that project is "BSD", I could have been clearer about that (by inserting the license text in the source files).