Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

DAAL 2016 update 3 seems to break VS2015 integration

Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Dear all,

the Intel software manager has given the info that for the DAAL 2016 a new update (update 3) was available today. I installed it and after that the Fortran integration into VS was corrupted or gone. VS does not recognize the Fortran *.vfproj files and gives an error. No new Fortran projects could be built. Under tools/options/ -> intel compilers some empty C++ entries are seen.

VS 2015 professional update 2 + PS XE 2016 Composer Edition Fortran update 3

These steps has also not worked: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/troubleshooting-fortran-integration-issues-with-visual-studio/

I had to de-install all Intel PS XE software and hat to make a 'clean' new installation (PS XE 2016 up.3) to get things working again. 'Modify' has not worked correctly (no text editor syntax highlighting,...) and repair gave a cryptic error message... During de-installation Intel 'C++ integrations' were removed. Is this the root of the error? I had installed them never before, only the DAAL update could have done so?

Maybe this prevents you from doing the same or maybe you have more luck than me. However, I had never before problems with the integration.

Best regards, Johannes

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2015
Version 14.0.25123.00 Update 2
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.6.01055

Installed Version: Professional

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3 Composer Edition for C++ Windows* Package ID: w_comp_lib_2016.3.207 Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3 Composer Edition for C++ Windows* Integration for Microsoft* Visual Studio* 2015, Version 16.0.120.14, Copyright © 2002-2016 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. * Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others. Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Package ID: w_comp_lib_2016.3.207

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2015, Version 16.0.0062.14, Copyright © 2002-2016 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. * Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Unfortunately, my delight came a little bit too early. VS2010 integrations looks OK, but VS 2015 is still corrupted. Without syntax highlighting and all the other stuff (goto definition) programming makes no fun...

Do you have an idea what to do? The Fortran fonts are available in VS201 but not in VS2015...

Johannes

ps: Compiling works...

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Update: Only by completely uninstalling VS 2015 and every Intel compiler component and afterwarts making a clean install of VS 2015 up2 and PS XE 2016 up3 I managed to get old functionality back. Took me 3h...

Johannes

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

This need to remove everything and reinstall is likely to happen if you have a version of VS2015 prior to update 1.  Microsoft in-place updates broke several things.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

FWIW, if you are a Fortran-only programmer, DAAL isn't of use to you.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

FWIW, if you are a Fortran-only programmer, DAAL isn't of use to you.

If DAAL talks to C++ and Fortran talks to C++ then what is the real problem - besides using C++ - which is fast, but a not nice language.

John

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Well, that;s not Fortran-only, then. Right? There are no Fortran declarations for DAAL but sure, you can call it from C or C++ and call that from Fortran.

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Dear all,

thanks for the replies.

@Steve, I'm a little bit confused about the DAAL. I thought it is covered also by the PS XE Composer licenses (https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe/details). The license check during the installation was positive with Composer Fortran edition. Further I would highly appreciate (if it's ment to be covered by the license of PS XE Composer Fortran edition), that the DAAL installation will not break the Fortran integration or give at least an error during installation. Some users might want to use DAAL with (MS) C++ and Java...

To whom it may concern: The original VS installation has been 2015 Professional without updates, but I installed update 1 and 2 before installing DAAL 2016 up3. PS XE 2016 up3 has been also installed before DAAL. Operation system is Win 7 x64 enterprize. VS 2010 up1 Fortran integration was not damaged by DAAL installation.

Loosing all the nice VS integration features for Fortran has shown me how much more efficient coding can be if they are present. Please, Intel team keep up extending these features. I like them much.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, DAAL is licensed but it has no Fortran integration. It got removed from the Fortran-only installs in Update 3. You're welcome to use it if you find a way to do so.

0 Kudos