Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28473 Discussions

Debugger skips rather then steps through subroutine

acar
Beginner
Hi,
This is not a major problem for me as I am used to it happening but I thought it would be as well to register it.
Sometimes, although not that often, when one is stepping through the source code in the debugger, and the cursor is at the SUBROUTINE command, a press of F10, which usually steps into the subroutine, does not step into the subroutine but simply carries on execution of the program. It seems to happen consistently for the same subroutine but I can't spot any difference between such subroutines and other ones where F10 takes you into the subroutine.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
ACAR.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II
Quoting acar
No not a typo. Once the cursor is on the SUBROUTINE line, F10 should take you into the routine and usually does but not for a small number of my routines.
Angus.

The same happens to me. It's not easily reproducable, varying from project to project,andsometimes I go weeks before it happens again, and then (last week) it happened two or three times in one session, including when I was stepping through some code for a colleague.

Les

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
The ability to step through lines of source can be affected by the debugging and optimization options applied.

It would help if you showed an example of the behavior you describe, listing the compiler options in effect.
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
It is a single project with many subroutines so the compiler options are the same for all routines. The options I have set are:
/nologo /debug:full /Qparallel /fpp /I"C:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler\11.1\054\mkl\include\ia32" /I"C:\Program Files\gino\v7.5\modules" /Qopenmp /module:"Debug/" /object:"Debug/" /Fd"Debug\vc90.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /libs:static /threads /dbglibs /winapp /Qmkl:parallel /c
Thanks,
ACAR.
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
Any news on this issue?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you can attach a ZIP of a project that demonstrates this problem, we'll be glad to look into it. It's not a behavior I am familiar with.
0 Kudos
j_clausen
Beginner
"..a press of F10, which usually steps into the subroutine.."

Isn't it F11, not F10, to step into a subroutine? (I guess that it was just a typo)

J_Clausen
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
No not a typo. Once the cursor is on the SUBROUTINE line, F10 should take you into the routine and usually does but not for a small number of my routines.
Angus.
0 Kudos
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II
Quoting acar
Angus.

The same happens to me. It's not easily reproducable, varying from project to project,andsometimes I go weeks before it happens again, and then (last week) it happened two or three times in one session, including when I was stepping through some code for a colleague.

Les
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
Thanks for reporting that Les - I didn't think I could be the only one to have observed this!
0 Kudos
acar
Beginner
Steve, my project is rather large and commercial so I won't offer to send it to you. I will, however, look out for it occurring in a smaller project which I can send to you. Really just wanted to flag it up as a potential issue (now also noted by Les). Thanks, Angus.
0 Kudos